Massive wildfire tears across mountainside behind homes as 200 soldiers deployed to help firefighters at beauty spot

Massive wildfire tears across mountainside behind homes as 200 soldiers deployed to help firefighters at beauty spot

A MASSIVE wildfire is tearing through a mountainside at a UK beauty spot behind people’s homes as 200 soldiers are deployed to help firefighters. The inferno was pictured by terrified residents in the Rhondda Valley, South Wales, above the village of Treherbert on Saturday night. A massive wildfire has torn through a mountainside at a UK beauty spot Credit: Getty Shocking photos show the flames near to people’s homes on Saturday night in South Wales Credit: Getty Shocking photos shared on social media show a row of houses with the mountainside completely ablaze in the background. A fierce orange glow can be seen lighting up the night sky as plumes of smoke billow into the sky. Sign up for The Sun newsletter Thank you! One resident told Wales Online that the fire was just yards away from properties on nearby streets and further down the valley. They added locals had bought more water supplies for fire crews battling the flames after they had run out of drinking water. A view of the wildfire as it blazes through the Ynysfeio Forest Credit: Getty The huge blaze can be seen lighting up the mountainside above the village of Treherbert Credit: Getty Sir Chris Bryant, MP for Rhondda and Ogmore, said the fire in Treherbert was “appalling”. “Thankfully, there are fire engines from all over the UK and two helicopters have been in place all afternoon,” he added. “One crew has come all the way from London. I’m immensely impressed by the fire workers. But this can’t be our new normal.” Two major incidents have been declared by fire services in south and west Wales as the devastating wildfires continue to wreak havoc. Most read in The Sun South Wales Fire and Rescue Service issued an update on Saturday night saying crews were tackling “14 concurrent wildfire incidents” and had been inundated with calls. Those living nearby are urged to keep their windows and doors closed due to the smoke and to avoid incident areas. On Friday night, firefighters were called to a new blaze raging heavily next to residential properties in Porth, around 20 minutes away from Treherbert, with some homes forced to evacuate. South Wales Police arrested four teenage boys on suspicion of arson and they have since been bailed under investigation. Detective Inspector Steve Jones said: “These incidents put communities at risk, can impact people’s health, threaten wildlife, and divert emergency resources away from people who need us. “Deliberately starting fires is a criminal offence. If you see suspicious behaviour or have information about deliberate fire-setting, please report it to Crimestoppers by calling 0800 555 111 or the police by calling 101.” It comes as the military have been drafted in to help firefighters tackle the wildfires Credit: Getty The first wave, comprising 100 personnel, have already been deployed Credit: AFP A significant hill and woodland blaze in Blaenavon (Cwmavon Woods) has also been burning for days. The military was drafted in to assist firefighters, Torfaen council announced yesterday. In a statement, they said: “Military personnel and equipment and a helicopter have been deployed to tackle the wildfire in Cwmavon. “Please do not fly drones as this interferes with helicopter flights and the fire service drone that is used to direct fire operations.” On Friday, Stephen Kinnock, Secretary of State for Wales, announced the military had been called to provide logistical support and “help ease the pressure on the ground”. Around 200 soldiers were deployed on Friday as they provide cover for firefighters and assist with water distribution and digging fire breaks. Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service said yesterday their crews were facing “unprecedented times”. “The past week, the crew have spent over 90 hours on operational incidents covering areas as far as Llanwrtyd Wells and Merthyr & Ebbw Vale.” They added they had been “overwhelmed by support” and thanked local businesses for keeping them “fuelled with food and drinks”. It comes as millions of people across England and Wales received an emergency alert on their phones at around 7pm on Friday evening warning them of the risk of wildfires. The government issued the alert warning people “not to light anything that could spark a fire, including barbecues, campfires, and fireworks” with the country in the middle of another heatwave. Prime Minister Andy Burnham said that the request “came directly from Fire and Rescue Services”. Fire services across the country subsequently begged Brits not to dob in their neighbours for having a barbecue after they became swamped with calls. Comment now

Original Source

Read the full article at Thesun →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.