FIFA Defends Gianni Infantino Amid Leadership Crisis

FIFA Defends Gianni Infantino Amid Leadership Crisis

FIFA has accused critics of waging a “concerted and ongoing effort” to undermine the organization and its president, Gianni Infantino, as the crisis surrounding his leadership continues to deepen. The governing body issued a strongly worded statement Saturday defending Infantino following the collapse of a controversial proposal to bring private investors into FIFA’s World Cup commercial business. The plan triggered fierce opposition from several major football organizations and has left Infantino facing boycott threats, calls for his resignation and growing questions about his bid for another term as FIFA president. Infantino, who has led FIFA since 2016, is seeking reelection at the organization’s congress in March 2027. FIFA’s 211 member associations will ultimately decide whether he remains in office. European football’s governing body UEFA has emerged as one of his strongest critics. Despite FIFA abandoning the private investment proposal, UEFA has said the decision alone is not enough to restore confidence in Infantino’s leadership. The dispute has escalated to the point that European football officials have threatened to boycott FIFA competitions, including World Cups. New Allegations Add to Pressure Infantino faced another controversy Friday after The Telegraph reported allegations involving his time as UEFA general secretary between 2009 and 2016. The British newspaper alleged that Infantino used his influence to help secure the promotion of a female UEFA employee with whom he was reportedly involved in a personal relationship. Infantino has categorically denied the allegations. The Telegraph also reported that the employee later received a six-figure payment when she left UEFA, along with approximately €50,000 ($57,800) toward an MBA program. UEFA has acknowledged that a payment was made to the former employee and that expenses connected with an MBA program were also covered. FIFA did not specifically identify the Telegraph report in its Saturday statement but pushed back strongly against recent coverage surrounding its president. “Recent reporting has included unsubstantiated assertions and demonstrably false claims concerning FIFA and its president,” the organization said. FIFA added that speculation and insinuation should not be treated as fact and said it would challenge inaccurate or misleading reporting. FIFA Warns Against Attempts to Remove Infantino FIFA also emphasized that any effort to replace Infantino must follow the organization’s statutes and established election procedures. “Those who do not have the support of FIFA’s Member Associations should not seek to achieve through allegation, insinuation or misinformation what they cannot achieve through FIFA’s established democratic processes,” the organization said. FIFA’s leadership reaffirmed its support for Infantino during a crisis meeting in Morocco earlier this week. The organization also apologized to its 211 member associations for mistakes in the way the private investment proposal was handled, acknowledging that members should have been more involved in the process. That apology has done little to settle the dispute. UEFA has said it has lost confidence in Infantino, while Norwegian Football Federation president Lise Klaveness went further Friday and publicly called for him to resign. Klaveness, one of Infantino’s most outspoken critics in international football, said he no longer has the institutional trust necessary to lead FIFA. Her name has also been mentioned as a possible future candidate for the FIFA presidency, although she has played down speculation about running. Infantino Retains Support Outside Europe Despite the growing pressure in Europe, Infantino continues to receive significant backing elsewhere. The Confederation of African Football has publicly supported his leadership, while South American governing body Conmebol has rejected attempts to remove him outside FIFA’s established electoral process. Infantino traveled to Cali, Colombia, on Friday for the inauguration of newly elected right-wing President Abelardo de la Espriella, where Conmebol president Alejandro Domínguez reiterated his support. Domínguez said Infantino’s work at FIFA should not be ignored and called for disagreements within world football to be resolved through dialogue. The competing statements highlight a widening divide within international football ahead of the 2027 FIFA presidential election. For years, Infantino appeared to be heading toward another term with relatively little resistance. The collapse of the private investment plan and the increasingly public confrontation between FIFA and UEFA have now turned what once looked like a straightforward reelection campaign into one of the most serious leadership crises of his decade in charge.

Original Source

Read the full article at Ticotimes →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.