Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor to receive royal ceremonial funeral despite being stripped of his titles

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor to receive royal ceremonial funeral despite being stripped of his titles

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is reportedly set to receive a ceremonial royal funeral despite his ties to Jeffrey Epstein, it has been revealed.The former Duke of York is included in the Government’s so-called ‘bridge’ plans, which prepare for the deaths of members of the Royal Family long in advance, according to the Mail on Sunday.Mr Mountbatten-Windsor remains on the list for a ceremonial farewell despite being stripped of his royal titles in November last year and becoming a private citizen following escalating pressure over his historical links to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.Mountbatten-Windsor has consistently and strenuously denied any wrongdoing in connection with his past relationship with Epstein.Notable examples of ceremonial royal funerals include those held for the Queen Mother in 2002 and Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, in 2021.Details of the arrangements for Mr Mountbatten-Windsor’s funeral remain unknown.However, royal experts have speculated that the service could be held at St George’s Chapel in Windsor, where Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s funerals took place.The former Duke of York is included in the Government’s so-called ‘bridge’ plansPA WireThe 14th-century chapel also serves as a venue for royal baptisms and weddings, including the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in 2018.Other controversial royal figures are buried there, including King Edward VIII, who abdicated in disgrace in 1936 to marry his wife Wallis Simpson, who is also buried there.Read MoreCritics have described the plans revealed by the Mail on Sunday as an “embarrassment”.US lawyer Gloria Allred, who has represented 27 of Epstein’s victims said: “Andrew has brought disgrace upon the Royal Family and the UK as a result of his involvement with Jeffrey Epstein.“Under these circumstances, the question arises as to why this man should be afforded the honour of a royal funeral. What kind of message would such a ceremony send to Epstein’s victims?“Additionally, why should UK taxpayers bear the burden of paying his expenses either in life or after his death?”US lawyer Spencer Kuvin, who represented nine of Epstein’s victims, said: “Taxpayers should not ever be funding a funeral for a private individual. “No public money should be used to benefit him during death. It’s an embarrassment to the Crown.”Norman Baker, a former government minister and expert in royal finances, said: “This must be an oversight. Mr Mountbatten–Windsor is a commoner and should in no way be getting any sort of royal funeral.”Buckingham Palace, the Cabinet Office and representatives for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor have been contacted for comment.

Original Source

Read the full article at Standard →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.