Yemen's Houthis declare naval blockade against Saudi Arabia

Yemen's Houthis declare naval blockade against Saudi Arabia

Decision ​in response to unjust, oppressive siege imposed on Yemen by the Saudis, according to a Houthi spokesperson Reuters July 20, 2026 1 min read Boats float near the coast of Bab el-Mandeb, Yemen April 2, 2026—REUTERS Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthis said on Monday they were imposing a naval blockade on Saudi Arabia, a move that threatens ​to escalate the conflict in the region and disrupt global energy supply and trade beyond ​the Gulf. The Houthis' armed forces, in a statement, said they were ⁠declaring "a maritime embargo against the criminal Saudi enemy, based on ​the equation of 'an eye for an eye', effective immediately". Yemen's Houthi military spokesperson Yahya Saree gives a live address on Saudi Arabia. Houthi spokesman said the blockade on Yemen’s ports and the attack on its airport in Sanaa will be met with a response. pic.twitter.com/njDdva8dim — Al Jazeera Breaking News (@AJENews) July 20, 2026 They said the decision ​was in response to what they called "an unjust and oppressive siege" imposed on Yemen by the Saudis. There was no immediate response from Saudi Arabia. The full closure ​of the Bab el-Mandeb strait, the southern gateway to the Red Sea, ​would halt Saudi oil exports to Asia and could reduce global oil supply by 7%. The Iran war has ‌already ⁠lowered global supply by 10%. "The question now is whether they will begin targeting vessels heading to Saudi ports. At this stage, there’s no clear answer," said Mohammed Albasha, a Yemeni ​analyst and founder ​of Basha Report, ⁠a Washington-based risk advisory firm. "Even if no ships are attacked, the announcement alone is likely to disrupt shipping ​and create uncertainty for Saudi ports. Whether the ​Houthis move ⁠from threats to direct action remains the critical issue," he said. The group fired missiles at Saudi Arabia last week after accusing the kingdom of bombing ⁠an ​airport under its control, piercing a four-year ​truce in the conflict between the kingdom and the Iran-aligned group. LATEST MOST READ OPINION

Original Source

Read the full article at Tribune →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.