Yash's violent, sexual Toxic gets A rating with no cuts; runtime revealed

Yash's violent, sexual Toxic gets A rating with no cuts; runtime revealed

Yash-starrer Toxic: A Fairy Tale for Grown-Ups has been awarded an ‘A’ certificate by the Central Board of Film Certification ahead of its theatrical release on August 26, with no cuts ordered. Directed by Geetu Mohandas, the Kannada-English film has otherwise been cleared in its original form, including its reported runtime of three hours and 12 minutes.According to the certification details, the film was cleared last week for release with an adult-only rating. The CBFC has asked the makers to mute and replace two words or phrases in the Kannada version, with corresponding changes to the English subtitles. The film will also carry the mandatory anti-smoking and anti-drinking warnings.The clearance has drawn attention because Toxic has been positioned as a dark action drama with violence, mature themes and sexual content. Its certification has also led to comparisons with Ranveer Singh-starrer Dhurandhar, which underwent cuts before release. Beyond the two minor modifications and the mandatory warnings, no cuts have been demanded.The decision has generated discussion online, with some viewers comparing how violence was treated in Toxic and Dhurandhar. Social media users have also discussed the film’s portrayal of women, intimate scenes and sexual imagery. One Reddit user questioned why Dhurandhar faced more cuts despite Toxic being widely discussed as a violent film. Another user criticised the censor board over what they viewed as its approach to the representation of women, while others joked about the board’s reported scrutiny of kissing scenes in Hollywood films. The debate comes amid wider conversations around recent cuts to intimate scenes in Hollywood releases, including Superman and Spider-Man: Brand New Day. "Not meant for children"Yash has repeatedly said that Toxic was never meant for children. During an appearance on Aap Ki Adalat, the actor and co-writer pointed to the film’s tagline, A Fairy Tale for Grown-Ups, as a deliberate indication of its intended audience. He said, “Regardless, we ensured one thing: along with the title, we also gave the tagline that Toxic is a ‘fairytale for grown-ups.’ We have made it very clear that the film is not for children or adults with a child’s mindset.”He further urged children to stay away from the film. “Children should absolutely stay away from Toxic. Children, please stay at home. We didn’t make the movie for them. Grown-ups, who know everything, can choose what they want to see and learn from Toxic. It’s a genuine film with a deep story,” he said. Yash has also addressed the film’s portrayal of female desire, saying it is an intentional part of the story and should be viewed in the context of Geetu Mohandas directing the film. He said, “When people see the film, they will understand that it has become a taboo for women to talk about female desire. Only men get to discuss such things. You have to keep in mind that Toxic’s director is a woman, and she is of the view that women’s desires and fantasies are their rights. If a woman feels scared to reveal what she wants, that’s also wrong.”He added that the scenes were not designed only for shock value. “The intent behind the scenes is clear, and it’s done to raise meaningful questions, not for gimmicks. At the same time, cinema is also about fun,” he said.The CBFC clearance comes after the film underwent two postponements. Toxic was originally scheduled to release on March 19 alongside Ranveer Singh’s Dhurandhar: The Revenge. The makers later postponed the release, citing the war in the Gulf and saying they wanted the film to reach audiences “every corner." A June 4 release was then announced, but that date was also pushed back. August 26 is now the film's third announced release date.Directed by Geetu Mohandas, Toxic stars Yash in the lead, with Nayanthara, Kiara Advani, Huma Qureshi, Rukmini Vasanth and Tara Sutaria in key roles. With the film now cleared without cuts, its adult-only certificate, long runtime and dark subject matter remain central to the conversation ahead of its August 26 release.- EndsPublished By: Vineeta KumarPublished On: Aug 21, 2026 15:47 IST

Original Source

Read the full article at Indiatoday →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.