Netball Australia will be led into a new era by one of the key figures behind the Matildas earning equal pay and conditions to the Socceroos.Mark Falvo, who was also one of the powerbrokers behind the 2023 FIFA women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, was on Thursday unveiled as Netball Australia’s chief executive, having served as interim CEO since April.The Diamonds thank their families and supporters after winning the bronze medal match at the Commonwealth GamesGetty ImagesFalvo has also served as CEO of the Netball World Cup Sydney 2027 for the past two years.Falvo described netball as a “superpower” of Australian sport.“Netball is already a superpower in Australian sport, as the largest sport for women and girls and one that is rapidly growing for men and boys,” he said.Mark Falvo was announced as the Netball Australia CEO on Thursday.“The ingredients for continued growth in our professional Super Netball league, backed by our new five-year broadcast deal with Nine Entertainment, the opportunity presented by a home World Cup in Sydney next year, and the prospect of Olympic inclusion creates a once-in-a-generation opportunity to set the game up for the long term.”Netball Australia chair Liz Ellis.Getty ImagesNA chair and Australia Diamonds legend Liz Ellis said the organisation was “delighted by the calibre of candidates” who applied for the role.“The Netball Australia board undertook an extensive and considered search for our newchief executive,” Ellis said.“The interest in and momentum for netball continues to build, and we are in a pivotal moment for our game.Falvo helped secure equal pay for the Matildas and the Socceroos, and was an architect of the 2023 World Cup. Getty“Ultimately, we appointed Mark because of his proven ability to create long-term value for national sporting organisations, his very strong financial and commercial capabilities, and his depth of experience in corporate strategy, major event legacy planning and collective bargaining.“Mark provides significant experience in supercharging women’s sport, as he helped to do with the Matildas and the FIFA Women’s World Cup. He has actively demonstrated his care and respect for netball over the past year, and he provides us with extensive industry knowledge, relationships and market credibility.”Falvo with Prime Minister Anthony Albanese in June last year.The world champion Diamonds came away with bronze in the Glasgow Commonwealth Games after a shock semi-final loss to Jamaica, but the tournament was overshadowed by a pay dispute with Netball Australia.In the weeks since, a pay war was averted after Super Netball players agreed to an updated collective player agreement for 2027.Under the new collective player agreement (CPA), Super Netball players will receive improved pay and conditions, more time off and greater ability to sign individual sponsorship deals.The 12-month bridging agreement to the CPA was agreed between Netball Australia, the Super Netball clubs and the Australian Netball Players’ Association (ANPA).In April, Nine Entertainment Co (owner of this masthead) was named as the broadcast and streaming rights holder for Australian netball until the end of 2031, with the sport coming out from behind a paywall for the first time in five years.The deal gives Nine access to all Diamonds and Super Netball matches, and next year’s home World Cup, where the Diamonds will defend their title on home soil.With Hannah Kennelly and AAPNews, results and expert analysis from the weekend of sport sent every Monday. Sign up for our Sport newsletter.From our partners
Why Netball Australia picked a commercial powerbroker to ‘supercharge’ the sport
Full Article
Original Source
Read the full article at Smh →KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.