What happened in Naga Munchetty’s bullying probe? Inside scandal before BBC Breakfast exit

What happened in Naga Munchetty’s bullying probe? Inside scandal before BBC Breakfast exit

| Senior TV Reporter Published July 29, 2026 10:42am Updated July 29, 2026 10:42am Naga Munchetty is leaving BBC Breakfast for Radio 5 Live (Picture: BBC Breakfast) It was reported as long ago as last summer that Naga Munchetty was considering quitting BBC Breakfast, which she this week announced. It came after the broadcaster’s flagship morning programme was hit with bullying allegations, including against the TV presenter, which reportedly resulted in a formal investigation. The BBC last year drafted in a PwC consultant to help review the culture around the famous red sofa and the show’s editor, Richard Frediani, took a period of leave from the programme. During this period, it was also reported that Munchetty and her co-host Charlie Stayt had no relationship and barely spoke with the BBC Breakfast editor, amid the bullying claims. A month later, it was reported by Deadline that Frediani had returned to the show and was said to have told staff he had been cleared of further action. In November, it was then reported that the BBC had begun a formal investigation into Munchetty herself, after The Sun published claims that bosses had spoken to the presenter about two incidents in three years. The BBC drafted in a PwC consultant to help review the culture around the Breakfast show (Picture: BBC Breakfast) Munchetty was said to have been spoken to by BBC bosses (Picture: BBC Breakfast) The 51-year-old was also reported to have used a slang term for a sex act during an off-air break at Radio 5 Live in 2022, reportedly leaving the studio ‘stunned’. Did anything come from the investigation? No formal action was taken, but Munchetty was said to have been spoken to about the incident. The escalation came after an independent workplace culture review across the BBC, launched after the Huw Edwards scandal, concluded that the corporation must intervene earlier when allegations of inappropriate behaviour emerge. Former director general Tim Davie and the BBC board chair, Samir Shah, vowed to ‘draw a line in the sand’ after the review found certain ‘well-known names’were ‘not being held to account for poor behaviour’. The matter had gone quiet this year, until Munchetty announced she will be leaving the red sofa after nearly two decades, to take up the breakfast slot on BBC Radio 5 Live. To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Munchetty said she was ‘thrilled’ to be joining the 5 Live breakfast show (Picture: BBC Breakfast) The BBC never comments on individual HR matters, but Metro understands that Munchetty’s move is not connected to these prior reports. We also understand that she is not under investigation, suggesting the workplace conduct matter has been resolved. What has Naga Munchetty said about the move to 5 Live? When talking about joining 5 Live Breakfast, Munchetty said she was ‘thrilled’ and described it as ‘too good to pass up’. She added: ‘It has been a privilege to be part of the BBC Breakfast TV team for the past 17 years, working alongside an incredibly talented and hard-working group of journalists who are not only outstanding colleagues but also great friends. Deals of the Day Wuka launches the UK’s first period-proof swimwear for heavy flows Bridgerton fans are rushing to buy these new Netflix-inspired perfumes now £12 off The affordable summer wardrobe update you'll wear from rooftop drinks to beach holidays The £7.99 lip balm beauty fans love for glossy, hydrated lips just dropped four new shades This Keskine hydrogel mask could fix your summer skin ‘Between now and January, I’ll continue presenting the two programmes I love. I’m sure there will be plenty of news to cover, and it will very much be business as usual.’ Arrow MORE: BBC radio star ‘struggling to hold it together’ after being replaced by Naga Munchetty Arrow MORE: I’ve watched three versions of BBC’s Ghosts – the latest season is ridiculous Arrow MORE: Every star in Strictly’s 2026 line-up as breakthrough House of the Dragon star joins cast TV Newsletter Sign up and tell us which TV shows you love to watch to get personalised updates every morning.

Original Source

Read the full article at Metro →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.