Venezuela earthquakes death toll surpasses 5,000

Venezuela earthquakes death toll surpasses 5,000

The number of injured remains unchanged at 16,740, government says.CARACAS -- The death toll from the two powerful earthquakes that shook Venezuela last month rose to 5,069 late on Friday, local authorities said. The interim government of President Delcy Rodriguez added in a statement that the number of injured remains unchanged at 16,740, as in the past 11 days.Ongoing recovery and debris-clearing operations have led to the increase in the death toll, particularly in the coastal state of La Guaira, the hardest hit by the quakes close to the Caribbean Sea. A total of 1,331 aftershocks had been recorded by Friday.Venezuela's government says 856 buildings are damaged and 190 collapsed completely since the 7.2 and 7.5 quakes on June 24. Hundreds of other types of structures, such as bridges and roads, were also affected. Popular Reads___Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-americaSponsored Content by TaboolaPopular Reads

Original Source

Read the full article at Abcnews →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.