US, Iran, Oman edge closer to deal that could temporarily reopen Strait of Hormuz - report

US, Iran, Oman edge closer to deal that could temporarily reopen Strait of Hormuz - report

Jerusalem Post/World NewsWashington is aiming for an interim agreement between the US, Iran, and Oman that would reopen the Strait of Hormuz to be announced Wednesday.Follow us on GoogleUS Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks during a cabinet meeting at Camp David in Thurmont, Maryland, US, July 31, 2026.(photo credit: REUTERS/Daniel Heuer)ByLEO FEIERBERG BETTER, REUTERSAUGUST 5, 2026 05:42Updated: AUGUST 5, 2026 06:17The US, Iran, and Oman are close to an interim deal that would reopen the Strait of Hormuz, Axios reported early Wednesday morning, citing two regional sources and a US official.According to the sources, Washington is aiming for the agreement to be announced on Wednesday. The deal has been under negotiations for several weeks and is aimed at resuming ceasefire talks between Washington and Tehran that would restart negotiations for a nuclear deal, according to the report.This comes after US President Donald Trump called off strikes on Iran over the weekend, which he abandoned for the sake of continuing negotiations.On Tuesday, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said progress had been made in talks with Iran, adding that the White House was "hoping" for an agreement.Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, September 9, 2025. (credit: REUTERS/MOHAMED ABD EL GHANY)Agreement would reportedly open two lanes of shipping, guarantee deminingThe interim agreement being discussed would entail a period of at least 60 days, in which Iran and Oman would jointly administer the Strait of Hormuz, according to the regional sources cited by Axios.Under the reported arrangement, all inbound ships would travel along the northern Iranian lane, while outbound ships would travel in a southern lane in Omani waters, said Axios. During this period, ships wouldn’t be charged tolls or fees, and the parties would clear mines from the median lane of the strait within 30 days, after which it would be used for traffic both ways under a permanent agreement.The US was involved in the negotiations, with Trump’s envoy Steve Witkoff calling both the Iranian and Omani foreign ministers, Axios cited the sources as saying.Moreover, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi agreed to the deal but needed approval from Iranian Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei, as well as the country’s Supreme National Security Council before proceeding, the sources added.A US official and one of the regional sources said approval had been granted by Iranian leadership on Tuesday, according to the report.Advisor to Qatar’s Prime Minister and Official Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Dr. Majid bin Mohammed Al-Ansari had said on Tuesday that Qatar, a mediator in the talks, aimed to restore commercial shipping through the strait to its pre-war numbers.Also on Tuesday, US Central Command (CENTCOM) said the southern lane of the strait remained open, and that it had facilitated the movement of over 1,000 ships through the strait in the last three months.Iran has long demanded control over Hormuz, which it says it should share with Oman on the opposite shore. It’s halted most traffic moving through the waterway after US-Iran tensions began in February.Follow us on Google

Original Source

Read the full article at Jpost →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.