US Commander brushes off complaints about USS Abraham Lincoln as 'old news' after reports of alarming conditions

US Commander brushes off complaints about USS Abraham Lincoln as 'old news' after reports of alarming conditions

A US Navy admiral has dismissed widely reported concerns about the conditions on the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier as 'old news' after visiting the ship.The USS Abraham Lincoln was deployed on November 21 and originally scheduled to return home in May, but its deployment was extended indefinitely amid the war with Iran, leaving its more than 4,000 sailors at sea for nearly nine months. Last week, relatives of those aboard the ship began telling the press that their sons, daughters, husbands and wives were becoming burnt out, with some even opting to jump overboard.On August 3, a sailor assigned to the carrier's air wing went into rough seas wearing a life vest in what the Navy deemed a mental health episode, according to CNN. He was pulled from the water by a search and rescue helicopter within the hour.Two wives also gave separate accounts of their husbands allegedly trying to jump from the ship in interviews with the Military Times.But US Central Command (CENTCOM) commander Admiral Brad Cooper visited the USS Abraham Lincoln on Saturday - and subsequently said many of the complaints swirling in the media are 'old news.'In an op-ed published by the Wall Street Journal on Sunday, the admiral said: 'Recent media reporting has portrayed varying perspectives on operational tempo, crew morale and the realities facing our deployed forces. 'What I found aboard the Lincoln is that many elements of those stories are old news.'He added that 'issues related to food, hot water and other concerns raised months ago were addressed by leadership and resolved.' Cooper also released a statement brushing off fears of widespread suicidal ideation alleged to be experienced among those aboard the aircraft carrier.In the statement, posted to CENTCOM's X account on Sunday, Cooper said: 'Of the US Navy's 11 active aircraft carriers, the Lincoln currently has among the lowest number of cases related to mental health.' At an emotional town hall meeting earlier this month, more than 200 family members of sailors aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln met with acting Secretary of the Navy Hung Cao to express their concerns. A spouse tearfully told officials she received a message that same day from her husband saying 'he hopes he doesn't wake up tomorrow,' Stars and Stripes reported.A mother also described how her daughter said she felt like she was never going to be able to come home and believed she was going to die on the ship, according to MS Now.Relatives also expressed concerns over food levels on board after pictures emerged appearing to show meagre provisions, and some reports claimed there was mildew in the showers and a lack of clean water, which officials said had been resolved.One parent with a child on the Lincoln said they received a photo from mid-April that showed a tray with boiled carrots, a scoop of ground beef and a gray slice of dry-looking meat. Relatives of service members aboard the aircraft carrier met with acting Secretary of the Navy Hung Cao (pictured) earlier this month and expressed their concerns Relatives expressed concern about food aboard the ship. One parent with a child on the Lincoln received this photo from mid-April showing a sad-looking plate of food Congressional Democrats demanded answers last week about the conditions onboard the aircraft carrier.In a letter to Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, Senator Richard Blumenthal said the USS Abraham Lincoln 'has been deployed more than 250 days' without coming ashore 'in over 200 days, setting a record for consecutive days at sea.'Blumenthal voiced concern for such extended deployments, noting 'widespread reports of shortages of basic supplies, water contamination, plumbing issues, deteriorating mental health, deck safety concerns' and other problems aboard the Lincoln.Amid the outcry, reporters asked Donald Trump whether the deployment had simply gone on too long, to which the president shot back: 'No. Not nearly long enough.'Still, Cooper was sent to visit the ship, and CENTCOM announced on Sunday that the USS Abraham Lincoln's deployment is ending. The admiral mentioned the development in the first paragraph of his op-ed, in which he said: 'I delivered the words every deployed sailor and Marine longs to hear: “You have delivered a performance for the ages, and now you are going home.”'Cooper praised the service members aboard the aircraft carrier as 'high-achieving Americans standing tall with justified pride in everything they have accomplished.' He acknowledged that 'The crew is tired,' but also emphasized 'they continue to fire on all cylinders.' Amid the outcry from relatives of sailors and Congressional Democrats, President Donald Trump said the aircraft carrier had not been deployed 'nearly long enough' The admiral also gave a rundown of the aircraft carrier's accomplishments during its deployment, which included shooting down more than 200 Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) drones, executing hundreds of strikes on IRGC targets and twice enacting 'the most effective naval blockade in modern history.' He also thanked the families of the sailors aboard the ship and said: 'Your strength makes their service possible, and your wait is coming to an end. Godspeed and enjoy the well-deserved reunion soon.'As the USS Abraham Lincoln prepares for its journey home, another aircraft carrier, USS George Washington, has departed the Pacific to take its place.

Original Source

Read the full article at Dailymail →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.