Ukraine’s Air Defense Missile Supplies Drop Threefold as Kyiv Warns Partners Have Stockpiles Available

Ukraine’s Air Defense Missile Supplies Drop Threefold as Kyiv Warns Partners Have Stockpiles Available

Supplies of air defense missiles to Ukraine have fallen threefold compared with 2025, despite partner countries having available stockpiles, President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Wednesday, following Russia’s third ballistic missile attack on Kyiv and the surrounding region in a week, during which none of the 28 missiles launched were intercepted. The decline in deliveries has weakened Ukraine’s ability to counter Russia’s intensifying ballistic missile campaign, Zelensky said after a meeting with military commanders, defense officials, and representatives of Ukraine’s intelligence agencies.JOIN US ON TELEGRAMFollow our coverage of the war on the @Kyivpost_official. “Unfortunately, this year, supplies of anti-ballistic defense systems from our partners have significantly decreased. The number of air defense missiles in deliveries has fallen threefold compared with 2025,” Zelensky said in a statement posted on Telegram. He added that the reduction applies not only to recent months but to the entire first half of 2026. “The missiles exist among our partners,” Zelensky said, calling for political decisions to accelerate deliveries and expand defense production, including the localization of manufacturing in Ukraine. The meeting included reports from Armed Forces Commander-in-Chief Mykhailo Drapaty, Chief of the General Staff Ihor Skybiuk, and acting Defense Minister Yevhen Khmara on battlefield developments and Ukraine’s most urgent supply needs. Other Topics of Interest They Missed the Last Train: Russian Strike Kills 8 at Kyiv Region Station A delayed train left passengers waiting at Kvitneve station when a Russian strike hit, killing eight people during Moscow’s latest massive attack on Kyiv and the surrounding region. Officials also discussed additional measures to protect critical infrastructure from Russian strikes. Trump reportedly rejected Zelensky’s Patriot missile request The shortage of interceptor missiles has become particularly critical as Russia increasingly relies on ballistic missiles that are difficult for Ukraine’s air defenses to stop. According to Financial Times, US President Donald Trump rejected Zelensky’s request for additional Patriot interceptor missiles during their July 28 meeting in the Oval Office. Sources told the newspaper that Zelensky asked Trump to provide several hundred additional Patriot missiles, but the US president immediately indicated he would not approve the request. Trump reportedly explained the decision by citing limited US stockpiles and said the missiles were needed to protect American facilities in the Middle East and Gulf countries amid tensions with Iran. Trump has also reportedly walked back his pledge to grant Ukraine a license to manufacture Patriot interceptors, which he mentioned during his meeting with Zelensky on the sidelines of the NATO summit in Ankara on July 7-8. US Ambassador to NATO Matthew Whitaker said Monday, Aug. 3, that no agreement had been reached on allowing Ukraine to manufacture Patriot missiles domestically, despite ongoing discussions between Washington, Kyiv, and European partners on expanding production. “Patriot (PAC-3) interceptors are very controlled export-wise, and we do not allow anybody but US manufacturers to make those,” Whitaker said in an interview with Fox Business. Ukraine has repeatedly warned that it lacks sufficient Patriot interceptors to defend against Russia’s ballistic missile attacks. The latest Russian overnight barrage killed at least 17 people and wounded dozens more, according to Ukrainian officials. Kyiv has urged allies to speed up deliveries of advanced air defense systems as Moscow intensifies attacks on Ukrainian cities. Alisa is the Head of News and a correspondent at Kyiv Post, where she leads the newsroom’s coverage of breaking events and global developments. With over seven years of experience in TV journalism, Alisa has reported on international and Ukrainian politics, making complex stories easier to understand. Back in September 2022, Alisa joined the Kyiv Post team.

Original Source

Read the full article at Kyivpost →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.