Ukraine for First Time Combines 15 Weapons in Novorossiysk Strike, Expanding Black Sea ‘No-Go Zone’

Ukraine for First Time Combines 15 Weapons in Novorossiysk Strike, Expanding Black Sea ‘No-Go Zone’

President Volodymyr Zelensky confirmed Wednesday, Aug. 12, that Ukraine used 15 domestically produced missile, aerial-drone and naval-drone systems in a single coordinated strike on Russia’s Novorossiysk naval base, hitting several Black Sea Fleet warships sheltering in the port. The operation showcased the growing reach of Ukraine’s homegrown strike arsenal and its ability to attack one of Russia’s key Black Sea military hubs without relying on Western-supplied long-range weapons.JOIN US ON TELEGRAMFollow our coverage of the war on the @Kyivpost_official. “There was a report on the results of our operation against Novorossiysk today. A combined use of long-range sanctions with our weapons. A successful operation,” Zelensky wrote on X. He thanked Ukrainian troops for their accuracy and weapons developers and manufacturers for the “tangible strengthening of Ukraine’s capabilities.” 15 Ukrainian systems in one operation According to President Zelensky, the operation combined a broad range of domestically produced weapons across the air and sea. “For the first time in a single operation, Palianytsia, Peklo, Bars, and Long Neptune worked in concert,” Zelensky wrote. The strike package also included the Mich, Fire Point, Ramzay, Sichen, Trust, Khariok, Bober, Liutyi and Dovbush aerial drones, as well as Sargan and Mamai unmanned surface vessels. Russian warships hit inside Novorossiysk Bay Zelensky said verified Ukrainian data showed that several Black Sea Fleet vessels sheltering in Novorossiysk Bay were among the targets. Other Topics of Interest Estonia Pledges Nearly $400,000 for Ukraine’s Winter Preparation The pledge comes as Ukraine’s Energy Staff and authorities nationwide prepare for possible strikes on energy and water infrastructure. “Among the results of the operation, it is important to note the strikes on Russian fleet vessels that were hiding in Novorossiysk bay,” he wrote. “In particular, according to verified data, the Admiral Essen and Admiral Makarov frigates, a large landing ship, a corvette, and other vessels were hit.” Earlier Wednesday, Ukraine’s General Staff and Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) reported damage of varying degrees to four Russian vessels: the Project 11356 frigates Admiral Makarov and Admiral Essen, the Project 21631 Buyan-M small missile ship and the Project 22160 patrol ship Vasily Bykov. Ukraine also reported striking a 30N6E radar belonging to an S-300 air-defense system, a mobile fire team on pier No. 2, infrastructure at several other piers and the tunnel portal of the Hrushova oil depot leading to the Sheskharis terminal. Novorossiysk no longer a safe haven Novorossiysk has become the Russian Black Sea Fleet’s last major stronghold in the region after repeated Ukrainian attacks forced Moscow to relocate many vessels from occupied Crimea. The port lies more than 300 kilometers (186 miles) from the front line, but Wednesday’s operation demonstrated that moving the fleet deeper into Russian territory has not placed it beyond Ukraine’s reach. “The occupying fleet and all the infrastructure that supports it will not be safe as long as Russian aggression continues,” Zelensky said earlier Wednesday. Russian authorities declared a state of emergency in Novorossiysk after the large-scale overnight attack damaged infrastructure, ruptured two major water pipelines, disrupted the city’s water supply and sparked multiple fires. Novorossiysk Mayor Andrei Kravchenko said an emergency command center had been established while crews inspected damaged areas and searched for drone debris. Ukraine’s ‘long-range sanctions’ Zelensky framed the attack as another application of Ukraine’s “long-range sanctions” – Kyiv’s term for using domestically produced weapons to strike Russian military and economic assets supporting the invasion. “Other Russian facilities that were helping finance the war were also struck,” Zelensky wrote. “It is entirely fair that Ukraine responds to Russia’s war, and it is Russia that can and must end its war.” He said Ukraine would continue applying both “long-range sanctions” and “mid-range sanctions” to pressure Moscow toward peace. “We will continue to encourage Russia to pursue peace through the further use of our long-range sanctions and mid-range sanctions,” Zelensky wrote. He added that near-term priorities had been discussed with Ukraine’s defense minister, commander-in-chief, commander of the Unmanned Systems Forces and representatives of the SBU. Sevinj Osmanqizi is an experienced journalist who writes extensively for Kyiv Post on foreign policy, international security and geopolitics. Based in Washington, D.C., her work focuses on Ukraine, Russia’s war and the broader post-Soviet space.

Original Source

Read the full article at Kyivpost →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.