Teens’ college places will be fully funded to help youth inactivity crisis, Ministers say

Teens’ college places will be fully funded to help youth inactivity crisis, Ministers say

ALL college places will be fully-funded for 16-19 year-olds to help reduce youth inactivity numbers. Education Secretary Lucy Powell says the cash will be guaranteed for all courses following GCSE results on Thursday. Lucy Powell will fully fund all college places to help reduce the youth inactivity crisis Credit: PA The funding comes as students receive their GCSE results this Thursday Credit: Getty Images – Getty Teenagers can show up knowing that colleges will be able to afford it in an effort to reduce the one million 16-24 year-olds not earning or learning. Previously, colleges wouldn’t know if they would get extra funding if more students turned up. Sign up for the Politics newsletter Thank you! Cabinet Minister Ms Powell said: “Results day was proof of the vital work colleges are doing, delivering lifechanging learning to hundreds of thousands of young people across the country. “With record numbers receiving T Level results this year, it’s clear demand for high-quality technical education is growing fast. “But for too long, colleges have only heard warm words from government. I am determined to back them with actions. “This guarantee means colleges can offer places to every young person who wants one, driving down the number of young people not in education or training, and giving them the skills, experience and confidence to thrive.” It follows Andy Burnham saying secondary school pupils from aged 14 will be able to study subjects such as AI and manufacturing under major reforms. He said he was on a “mission” to reduce the number of Neets – those not in education, employment or training – which currently sits at more than one million youngsters. Most read in The Sun Labour grandee Alan Milburn is currently conducting a review into the crisis and will publish his report in the autumn. The PM last month said: “We’ve had a system built for too long around the university route and it sends a message to some young people that they’re some kind of second-class citizens, and it’s just not right. “They need an education system that works for them as well, that offers a path to all young people, that’s balanced between academic and technical.” Comment now

Original Source

Read the full article at Thesun →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.