‘Small-boat smuggler’ accused of manslaughter using human rights laws to fight ­extradition to France

‘Small-boat smuggler’ accused of manslaughter using human rights laws to fight ­extradition to France

AN ALLEGED small-boat smuggler accused of manslaughter after an asylum seeker drowned in the Channel is fighting ­extradition to France using human rights laws. Hazrat Jabarkhil, 23, cited “inhumane treatment” if returned — despite posing at the Eiffel Tower in Paris before fleeing. Alleged small-boat smuggler Hazrat Jabarkhil is accused of manslaughter after an asylum seeker drowned in the Channel Credit: Unknown Jabarkhil is fighting ­extradition to France using human rights laws Credit: Unknown The Afghan national is said to have arrived here illegally last year after allegedly killing an asylum seeker during a failed small-boat crossing. Jabarkhil fled France where he is said to have helped run a ­trafficking gang — before crossing the Channel to England himself on a dinghy. Sign up for The Sun newsletter Thank you! After his arrest and first ­extradition court appearance in Britain, his lawyers — bankrolled by the taxpayer — invoked the European Convention on Human Rights. They claimed extraditing him could expose him to “a real risk of torture, execution, or inhumane treatment” in prison. Yet in pictures seen by The Sun, Jabarkhil is living it up in the French capital wearing flashy designer clothes. Westminster JPs heard Jabarkhil was involved in arranging a crossing in which a small boat capsized near Boulogne-sur-Mer in May last year. Sixty-two migrants were pulled from the water but a man from sub-Saharan Africa died. A French court in Boulogne issued a warrant for his arrest — alleging he helped facilitate the failed crossing. Most read in The Sun Jabarkhil was found living in Liverpool when he was swooped upon by National Crime Agency officers in February this year. He is currently facing extradition back to France on charges including manslaughter. He appeared at Westminster magistrates’ court via video-link from HMP Wandsworth and was remanded. His full extradition hearing is due to be heard on September 21 at the same court.

Original Source

Read the full article at Thesun →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.