THIS is the shocking moment a speeding driver who had no insurance ploughed into a kebab shop while on the phone. Footage shows Daniel Mohammed, 21, losing control of his Ford Focus, before it smashes into Burslem’s Rose Fast Food takeaway in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire – causing it to partially collapse. Daniel Mohammed ploughing into the takeaway Credit: BPM Mohammed was jailed for two years and two months Credit: Staffordshire Police Debris, including the building’s walls and windows, are seen crashing to the ground after the vehicle smashes into it. The vehicle ends up in the middle of the road, as a huge dust cloud emanating from the rubble blows into the street. Sign up for The Sun newsletter Thank you! Before the crash, Mohammed overtook a vehicle on a bend while he had his phone in his hand, and his passenger was asking him to slow down, Stoke Crown Court heard. Mohammed’s passenger suffered a broken collar bone and fractures to two bones in her forearm after the crash at 6am on July 20, but nobody inside the takeaway was injured. The building collapsed after Mohammed ploughed into it while speeding Credit: BPM The vehicle ended up in the middle of the road Credit: BPM Staffordshire Police said Mohammed lost control of his car after overtaking another vehicle on a bend. After the dramatic crash the building was partially demolished. Mohammed, of Cobridge, was jailed for two years and two months after pleading guilty to causing serious injury by dangerous driving, using a vehicle without third party insurance, and using a handheld mobile phone while driving a vehicle. Judge Graeme Smith told him he made a “deliberate decision to ignore the rules of the road” and “drove at speeds in excess of the speed limit”. Most read in The Sun He added: “You overtook a vehicle on the approach to a zebra crossing where the zigzag lines indicate you should not overtake and also on a bend where you could not see whether anything was coming in the opposite direction. “You were using a mobile phone at the time. You had been warned by your passenger to slow down but disregarded that warning. “Having watched the video, it is astonishing that both of you were not more seriously injured. “She was the more seriously injured. You were using the mobile phone and had no insurance. “You accept responsibility for what happened. What happened appears to be out of character. “However, there was a previous driving-related offence committed earlier last year. I cannot suspend the sentence because of its length.” Mohammed was also banned from driving for three years and 10 months and until he passes an extended test. The court also heard he had a conviction for drug-driving. PC Tom Poole, of Stoke-on-Trent north local policing team, who led the investigation, said: “Mohammed’s reckless driving not only caused serious injury to his passenger but also had a great effect on a local business, which has sadly been closed since the collision. “When he was interviewed in custody he answered ‘no comment’ to all questions, but we worked tirelessly to gather CCTV evidence, which eventually led to him pleading guilty in court. “Our thoughts remain with all those affected by this incident and I hope this sentence offers them some closure.” The passenger, who knew Mohammed through mutual friends, experienced tingling and reduced sensation in her fingers in the immediate aftermath of the crash, the court heard. Comment now
Shocking moment man, 21, smashes car into kebab shop while using phone causing front of takeaway to collapse
Full Article
Original Source
Read the full article at Thesun →KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.