A SECOND powerful earthquake has rocked a Spanish holiday hotspot within days, forcing hotels and a famous tourist attraction to be evacuated. At least three people were injured after the 4.6-magnitude quake hit Granada this morning, with emergency responders receiving dozens of calls. A second powerful quake has rocked southern Spain Credit: X/luzarcsan At least three people were left injured by the 4.7-mag quake in Granada Credit: X/luzarcsan It follows a 5.2-mag quake that partially collapsed buildings and forced terrified locals and tourists to flee their homes. The epicentre of today’s quake was Gojar, a small town and municipality around five miles south of Granada city centre. Sign up for The Sun newsletter Thank you! Hotels and council buildings open to the public were forced to evacuate following the scare. Staff from the four-star Barcelona Carmen Granada were seen standing in the street in the moments after the first quake. It comes days after another quake caused buildings to partially collapse Credit: EPA A road in Granada sliced in half by a crack on Friday Credit: Solarpix Parts of the famous Alhambra tourist attraction have also been evacuated. Two 4 and 4.2-mag aftershocks also hit nearby Churriana de la Vega and Alhendin after the initial tremor. Officials confirmed that three people had been hurt, although they said the injuries were not serious. One of the victims was described as a young girl who has been taken to hospital. Most read in The Sun A spokesman for the Junta de Andalucia-run emergency response centre said: “More than half a hundred calls have been received reporting rockfalls and cracks, with no reports of personal injuries so far.” It subsequently on social media: “If you felt the earthquake, you are safe and your home has no damage, stay calm and avoid entering and leaving buildings unnecessarily. Do not use the lift.” Footage taken by locals showed rubble littering a street that had to be cordoned off by police tape. One emergency responder could be overheard saying: “It looks as if no-one was passing by at the time. Just as well.” It was not immediately clear how much material damage had been done by the quake. Another video published online showed the inside of an empty living room violently shaking during the tremor. Andalucia’s president Juanma Moreno warned locals and tourists in Granada to be prepared for more seismic movements and aftershocks. He said on X: “Once again, an earthquake shakes Granada. Maximum CAUTION. “Experts point out that seismic movements and aftershocks may continue in the area, and it is important to know how we should act in these situations. “Let’s follow the advice and remain calm, please.” It comes just days after a state of emergency was declared in Granada after a 5-mag quake left a trail of destruction behind. More to follow… For the latest news on this story keep checking back at The Sun Online Thesun.co.uk is your go-to destination for the best celebrity news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video. Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thesun and follow us on TikTok @TheSun. 1 comment1
Second earthquake rocks Spain holiday hotspot within days as tourist attractions & hotels evacuated with 3 injured
Full Article
Original Source
Read the full article at Thesun →KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.