Russia Targets Ukraine-Moldova Border Checkpoint as Moscow Unleashes a Multi-Layered Attack

Russia Targets Ukraine-Moldova Border Checkpoint as Moscow Unleashes a Multi-Layered Attack

Russian forces launched a massive overnight attack on Ukraine using ballistic and cruise missiles as well as 168 Shahed-type drones, killing at least 13 people and injuring around 40, President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Aug. 20.The main target of the attack was the Kyiv region, according to Ukraine’s Air Force. Kyiv was hit particularly hard, with residential buildings, a high-rise, a children’s hospital and a school damaged, Zelensky said.JOIN US ON TELEGRAMFollow our coverage of the war on the @Kyivpost_official.“As of now, it is known that this Russian strike took the lives of 12 people in Kyiv, there is one person who died in the region,” Zelensky said on Telegram. He expressed condolences to the victims’ families and said emergency and rescue operations were continuing.According to the president, Russia also struck infrastructure in Odesa and Chernihiv regions. In the Odesa region, drones targeted a checkpoint on the border with Moldova, while Russian forces struck gas infrastructure in the Chernihiv region.Russia used ballistic, cruise missiles and dronesThe Ukrainian Air Force said Russia began the attack at around 6 p.m. on Aug. 19, launching missiles and drones against Ukraine.The ballistic component of the attack included Onyx, Zircon, Iskander-M and S-400 missiles launched from Russia’s Kursk, Rostov and Bryansk regions. The Air Force did not disclose how many ballistic missiles were fired.Kyiv Post correspondents in the capital counted at least 20 explosions during the ballistic attack. Other Topics of Interest Ukraine’s Government Removes Sense Bank Chairman Amid Anti-Corruption Probe The move follows NABU’s new “Forrest Gump” probe, which named a deputy presidential aide, lawmakers, and bank executives as suspects. Russia also launched 36 Kh-101, Iskander-K and Kh-59 cruise and aviation missiles from areas in Vologda, Kursk and Belgorod regions, according to the Air Force.Eight Kalibr cruise missiles were launched from the Novorossiysk area, along with two Banderol loitering munitions.The attack also involved 168 Shahed-type strike drones, Gerbera and Parody decoy drones and other unmanned systems. Almost half of the Shahed-type drones were reportedly jet-powered.The Air Force said the attack was primarily directed at the Kyiv region.Ukraine says it intercepted most cruise missiles and dronesUkraine’s Air Force said its defenses used fighter aircraft, anti-aircraft missile units, electronic warfare, unmanned systems and mobile fire groups to repel the attack.As of 9:30 a.m., Ukrainian forces had shot down or suppressed 31 of the 36 Kh-101, Iskander-K and Kh-59 cruise missiles, all eight Kalibr missiles and both Banderol loitering munitions, according to preliminary Air Force data.Air defenses also shot down or suppressed 145 Shahed, Gerbera and other drones.The Air Force said aerial targets were hit at 28 locations, while debris from intercepted weapons fell at two locations.Zelensky calls for more ballistic missile defensesZelensky said the scale of the attack showed that Russia had been preparing for it for some time and deliberately combined different types of weapons to maximize damage to civilian infrastructure.“While Moscow is investing in ballistics and escalation, the world does not always have the necessary reaction to such strikes,” Zelenskyy said.He argued that Russia would have little incentive to seriously pursue peace while Ukraine lacks sufficient defenses against ballistic missiles.“We are doing everything to ensure protection, and work is underway every day on the FREYJA program,” Zelensky said, referring to Ukraine’s efforts to develop additional air-defense capabilities.He added that Patriot interceptor missiles have not yet been replaced and are needed on a daily basis.“Each additional missile saves the lives of our people,” the president said.Zelensky thanked rescuers, doctors, police officers and utility workers who have been responding to the aftermath of the attack since the first hours. Kyiv Post is Ukraine’s first and oldest English news organization, reporting since 1995. Its international reach – 97% of readers are outside of Ukraine – make it truly Ukraine’s global voice.

Original Source

Read the full article at Kyivpost →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.