Skip to Content News Archives Economy Energy Oil & Gas Renewables Electric Vehicles Mining Commodities Agriculture Real Estate Mortgages Mortgage Rates Finance Banking Insurance Fintech Cryptocurrency Work Wealth Smart Money Wealth Management Investor Personal Finance Family Finance Retirement Taxes High Net Worth FP Comment Executive Women Puzzmo Newsletters Financial Times Business Essentials More Innovation Information Technology FP500 Podcasts Small Business Lives Told Tails Told Shopping Financial Post Store Obituaries Place a Notice Advertising Advertising With Us Advertising Solutions Postmedia Ad Manager Sponsorship Requests Classifieds Place a Classifieds ad Working Profile Settings My Subscriptions Saved Articles My Offers Newsletters Customer Service FAQ News Economy Energy Mining Real Estate Finance Work Wealth Investor FP Comment Executive Women Puzzmo Newsletters Financial Times Business Essentials This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.HomePMN BusinessOil Extends Two-Day Drop on Signs of Progress Toward Hormuz DealOil fell for a third day on optimism a deal can be reached that would reopen the Strait of Hormuz, freeing up supply trapped in the Persian Gulf.Author of the article:Kanoko Matsuyama and Gabriel Levin You can save this article by registering for free here. Or sign-in if you have an account.An oil pumpjack at the Inglewood Oil Field in Culver City, California, US, on Monday, May 4, 2026. With the US-Iran war creeping into its third month, oil traders are hedging against divergent outcomes tied to US inventories as the newly anointed top crude exporter faces unprecedented pressure to meet global demand. Photographer: Kyle Grillot/Bloomberg Photo by Kyle Grillot /Bloomberg(Bloomberg) — Oil fell for a third day on optimism a deal can be reached that would reopen the Strait of Hormuz, freeing up supply trapped in the Persian Gulf.THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS ONLYSubscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.Exclusive articles from Barbara Shecter, Joe O'Connor, Gabriel Friedman, and others.Daily content from Financial Times, the world's leading global business publication.Unlimited online access to read articles from Financial Post, National Post and 15 news sites across Canada with one account.National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.Daily puzzles, including the New York Times Crossword.SUBSCRIBE TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLESSubscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.Exclusive articles from Barbara Shecter, Joe O'Connor, Gabriel Friedman and others.Daily content from Financial Times, the world's leading global business publication.Unlimited online access to read articles from Financial Post, National Post and 15 news sites across Canada with one account.National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.Daily puzzles, including the New York Times Crossword.REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLESCreate an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.Access articles from across Canada with one account.Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.Enjoy additional articles per month.Get email updates from your favourite authors.THIS ARTICLE IS FREE TO READ REGISTER TO UNLOCK.Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.Access articles from across Canada with one accountShare your thoughts and join the conversation in the commentsEnjoy additional articles per monthGet email updates from your favourite authorsSign In or Create an AccountWest Texas Intermediate declined toward $75 a barrel, after losing more than 10% in the prior two sessions, while Brent closed below $80 for the first time in more than three weeks. Qatar said an interim proposal had been drafted and both Washington and Tehran signaled progress in talks to reopen the waterway on Tuesday.Oil prices have slumped over the past two weeks as US President Donald Trump said he postponed new strikes on Iran to give talks more time. Even if a short-term deal to normalize commercial shipping in the strait is reached, it might still fail to end the war conclusively or resolve Trump’s concerns about Iran’s nuclear program.Get the latest headlines, breaking news and columns.By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.A welcome email is on its way. If you don't see it, please check your junk folder.The next issue of Top Stories will soon be in your inbox.We encountered an issue signing you up. Please try again“Now that passions have cooled somewhat, perhaps there is a chance a deal can be agreed to,” said Robert Yawger, director of energy futures division at Mizuho Securities USA LLC. “I still expect a bad deal to ultimately get done, which will allow the US to declare some kind of victory, but leave a lot of loose ends, including the nuclear deal.”The previous US-Iran ceasefire lasted less than a month before collapsing over Hormuz. That helped drive a roughly $32 swing in Brent last month as the conflict reignited and spread to the Red Sea, before another pause in late July to allow diplomatic efforts to continue was shattered.Trump discussed efforts to deescalate US-Iran tensions with Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al-Thani in a call on Tuesday, according to the Gulf state’s government. A White House official confirmed the call without offering more details. In a sign of potential progress, Iran is considering allowing European nations to remove mines from the strait, according to diplomats familiar with the matter. Separately, the country’s foreign ministry said discussions between Iran and Oman had been positive and centered on safe shipping routes in the waterway, according to state-run IRIB News.Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia held talks with Yemen’s Houthi militants through Omani mediators as it seeks to prevent the conflict from widening, according to people familiar with the matter. The OPEC member is continuing to prepare military options should negotiations fail, they said.Elsewhere, US crude inventories rose 2.7 million barrels last week while stockpiles at Cushing, Oklahoma — the delivery hub for WTI — increased by 2.4 million barrels. If confirmed by official data later Wednesday, that would be the biggest rise in Cushing since March, and would help push levels back above the 20 million-barrel level widely considered the operational minimum.—With assistance from Nicholas Lua.This advertisement has not loaded yet.Notice for the Postmedia NetworkThis website uses cookies to personalize your content (including ads), and allows us to analyze our traffic. Read more about cookies here. By continuing to use our site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Oil Extends Two-Day Drop on Signs of Progress Toward Hormuz Deal
Full Article
Original Source
Read the full article at Financialpost →KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.