No conflict, our interests same: Bar Council chief to CJP amid NALSAR order row

No conflict, our interests same: Bar Council chief to CJP amid NALSAR order row

A day after the Bar Council of India (BCI) withdrew its directive barring the enrolment of 2026 graduates of NALSAR University of Law over their opposition to Chief Justice Surya Kant’s participation in a campus event, BCI Chairman Manan Mishra responded to the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) leaders, who had amplified the online outrage over the move. Mishra said his objective was also to protect the interests of students.Addressing CJP founder Abhijeet Dipke and spokesperson Saurav Das, Mishra, who is also a BJP Rajya Sabha MP, said, "I want to communicate to Abhijeet Dipke and Sourav Das that our interests are the same as theirs, to protect the rights of the students".The BCI had on Thursday directed state bar councils not to enrol any 2026 graduate of Hyderabad-based NALSAR after a section of students opposed a proposal to invite Chief Justice of India Surya Kant as the chief guest at the university’s convocation. The order was later withdrawn after backlash.It was the Chief Justice’s "cockroach" remark on unemployed youth that sparked the CJP's online mobilisation, which later spilled onto the streets. Following the BCI’s directive barring the enrolment, CJP leaders asked, "What if all legal cockroaches come together?", echoing an earlier call made by the group following the CJI’s remarks. Other CJP leaders also criticised Mishra, questioning his track record and even demanding his resignation.Asked about the CJP leaders' series of posts, including allegations that Mishra was "paying" for a BJP Rajya Sabha seat, and their subsequent claim of victory after the BCI withdrew its order, Mishra said there had never been any intention to take a decision that would harm students. "Actually, there was never any intention to do anything that would harm the interests of the students. The decision was taken suddenly, and as soon as it came to the Council’s notice, it was stopped. The matter was discussed in the Council. All the senior members of the Council discussed it, and after that, we completely withdrew the decision. There is no question of any inquiry," Mishra said.Directly addressing the CJP leaders, he added, "So, whether it is Abhijeet Dipke or Mr Das, I want to communicate to them through your channel that there is absolutely no problem as far as the interests of the students are concerned. Protecting students’ interests is my responsibility, and it is also the responsibility of the Bar Council of India and its members."Stressing that there was no conflict between the BCI and the CJP on the issue of students’ rights, the BCI chairman said, "If anyone is confused or if there has been any communication gap, I want to clarify through your channel that the interests of students are paramount for us and for the Bar Council of India. We have to protect the interests of the country’s youth. What Abhijeet Dipke wants is exactly what we also want, protecting the interests of young people. So there is no conflict of interest here".Mishra also addressed CJP spokesperson Saurabh Das’s allegation that he had spent Rs 14 crore on meetings and conferences."I don’t know where the figure of Rs 14 crore has come from. There are no such meetings. The Bar Council of India does organise seminars on various topics, but there is nothing like spending Rs 14 crore on meetings and conferences," the BCI chairman said.Mishra further said he would be willing to speak to the CJP leaders and explain the matter if there had been any "communication gap".While withdrawing the order barring enrolment, the BCI said the vast majority of the students were innocent and should not be made to suffer for the alleged misconduct of a few. Mishra said BCI members had thoroughly discussed the earlier letter and unanimously decided to modify the direction concerning the enrolment of the students.In a post announcing the withdrawal, the BCI chief also acknowledged the reactions from senior advocates, members of the Bar, law students and "public-spirited citizens".Meanwhile, CJP leaders claimed the withdrawal as a victory. Sourav Das posted, "It’s done bro", recalling the viral phrase used during their movement against then Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan. The phrase had initially been used by actor Salman Khan while urging Sonam Wangchuk to end his protest.- EndsPublished On: Aug 14, 2026 09:48 IST

Original Source

Read the full article at Indiatoday →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.