Nevada Hawk Fire races towards Reno, forcing 14,000 home evacuations

Nevada Hawk Fire races towards Reno, forcing 14,000 home evacuations

The Hawk Fire swept towards Reno, forcing evacuations across thousands of homes. The emergency has strained power, transport and public safety preparations across Washoe County.Stock photo used for illustrationA fast-moving wildfire in Nevada spread from the Sierra foothills towards central Reno early on Sunday, growing to more than 10,500 acres and forcing large-scale evacuations. Nearly 14,000 homes were ordered to evacuate, and the “GO NOW” zone reached the edge of the University of Nevada campus.Governor Joe Lombardo declared a state of emergency in Washoe County and mobilised the Nevada National Guard to support firefighting efforts and help police protect evacuated areas. Nearly 10,000 homes and businesses in the county were without power on Sunday, while parts of US Route 395, a major north-south highway, were shut because of the blaze.Washoe County emergency officials opened the Reno-Sparks Convention Centre for evacuees, but said pets could not be taken there. Small animals and large animals were to be left at two other locations.The Hawk Fire apparently began on Saturday and expanded significantly through the day, driven by strong, gusty winds, low humidity and dry vegetation, according to Truckee Meadows Fire & Rescue, which joined the response from just across the California state line. “Approximately 400 personnel are currently working on the incident, with resources coming together from local, state and federal agencies, including ground crews and air resources,” a statement from Truckee Meadows said.Lombardo mobilised the Nevada National Guard with two helicopter crews to support aerial firefighting, along with 60 troops to assist police in safeguarding evacuated neighbourhoods. Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve urged people to leave immediately if told to do so. “If you have been told to evacuate, please don’t wait!” she said in a statement posted on social media late on Saturday night. “Structures have already been burned in this fire, and your life is more important than a building. Evacuating before the fire arrives also allows our firefighters to focus their efforts on battling the blaze.”Authorities were also monitoring a county detention facility located several blocks from the outer edge of the evacuation warning area. “We have those inmates in mind, and we are making sure that we have plans in place in case we may have to evacuate the facility,” Washoe County Sheriff Darin Balaam said.Earlier this month, three wildfires fuelled by hot, dry and windy conditions north of Reno forced more than 13,000 residents from their homes, according to the Nevada National Guard. The Hawk Fire has now prompted fresh evacuations, disrupted power supply and transport, and drawn a large emergency response as it burns near Reno.With PTI Inputs- EndsPublished By: India Today Web Desk Published On: Aug 23, 2026 19:12 IST

Original Source

Read the full article at Indiatoday →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.