NASA drops Swift Observatory rescue as Katalyst spacecraft loses control

NASA drops Swift Observatory rescue as Katalyst spacecraft loses control

NASA and Katalyst have abandoned the Swift Observatory rescue after Link lost control in orbit. The failed attempt leaves the veteran telescope heading for atmospheric re-entry and clouds similar plans for Hubble.Image used for representational purposes onlyNASA and Katalyst Space Technologies have called off a mission to save NASA’s sinking Swift Observatory, leaving the space telescope set for a fiery re-entry later this year. The decision brings an end to an effort to extend the life of a telescope that has spent more than 20 years tracking some of the biggest explosions in the universe, including gamma ray bursts and exploding stars.The announcement came more than a month after Katalyst’s Link spacecraft launched in a bid to rescue Swift. Katalyst said Link will not attempt to capture the telescope and raise it to a higher orbit because of problems in controlling the spacecraft. NASA had paid USD 30 million to Katalyst to move Swift to a safer, longer-lasting orbit after intense solar activity caused it to lose altitude faster than expected.According to NASA, the rescue spacecraft went into an uncontrollable spin a few weeks after lifting off in early July. Flight controllers managed to slow Link’s tumble, but problems continued with its pointing and positioning in orbit. “This is not the outcome we were working toward, but it does not change why this mission was worth attempting,” NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman said in a statement.As a consolation, Katalyst will continue to operate Link in proximity with Swift to demonstrate capabilities for future rescue operations. Katalyst CEO Ghonhee Lee said it was an ambitious mission on an aggressive timeline that was put together in under a year. “We took on this high-risk, high-reward challenge and are proud of the milestones we reached along the way,” Lee said in a statement. “We have already learned a tremendous amount.” Launched in 2004, Swift had its science instruments turned off earlier this year to slow its descent. As of last week, it was orbiting at a height of 216 miles, or 347 kilometres.The failed mission could also affect future plans for NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope, which had been next in line for a rescue attempt if the Swift operation had succeeded. The 36-year-old Hubble is also dropping in orbit because of the sun’s recent outbursts, though it was not immediately known whether it is now out of luck. For now, the Swift rescue has been abandoned, with the telescope expected to re-enter the atmosphere later this year. With PTI Inputs- EndsPublished By: India Today Web Desk Published On: Aug 20, 2026 00:52 IST

Original Source

Read the full article at Indiatoday →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.