MANCHESTER UNITED youngster Godwill Kukonki faces an uncertain future after being left off the club’s latest professional squad intake. The young defender has yet to feature in first-team pre-season prep this summer, leaving his situation at Old Trafford up in the air. Godwill Kukonki faces an uncertain future after being left off the club’s latest professional squad list Credit: Getty Well-placed sources said the club are working on the remaining deals separately Credit: Getty Kukonki, 18, was left off United’s latest pro contract squad list, which featured nine academy players who signed first-year terms. Albert Mills, Louie Bradbury, Jacob Watson, Neithan Barbosa, Charlie Hardy, Cameron Byrne-Hughes, Jayden Ngwashi, Nathaniel-Junior Brown and Rafe McCormack all sourced new deals. Sign up for the Man United newsletter Thank you! Well-placed sources said the club are working on the remaining deals separately, but chose to announce the nine finalised agreements together on Wednesday. Kukonki arguably featured more prominently for the Under-18s last season than most of those listed, with the exception of Mills, Brown and JJ Gabriel. A new contract has not been ruled out, but Kukonki is on a slightly different timeline as he enters what would currently be a third-year scholar agreement. While Kukonki’s pre-season plans were disrupted, Carrick has been impressed by fellow centre-back and Under-18 captain Dan Armer, whose stock has risen internally this summer. SunSport understands that Armer signed a pro deal last Friday, before flying out with Carrick’s squad for the pre-season friendly against Paris Saint-Germain. BEST ONLINE CASINOS – TOP SITES IN THE UK Armer was an unused sub in the 1-1 draw, with Harry Maguire playing a full 90 minutes ahead of the season opener against Hull City next Saturday. Most read in Sport Kukonki has instead taken part in Under-21 training, he did not feature in their match against Altrincham Town on July 31. Kukonki was included in Michael Carrick‘s squad for the 2-1 defeat at Newcastle in March and was named on the bench on seven occasions by ex-United head coach Ruben Amorim. Although United offered Kukonki a contract extension in March 2025, the complete lack of mention on the club’s retained list points toward a potential summer exit. At 6ft 5, Kukonki spent a significant developmental time playing as a left back last season to build his versatility and ball-carrying skills. Following the arrival of a new scholar class last month, Kukonki is one of the last remaining players from the 2024 intake and he turns 19 next February. Standard Premier League and FA Youth Scholarship agreements are typically two-year contracts signed at age 16, covering a player’s Under-17 and Under-18 seasons. However, rules allow clubs to offer or extend scholarships into a third year under specific development circumstances or extended terms. United are hopeful about 17-year-old Noah Ajayi signing a pro deal, with clubs in Germany interested. Meanwhile, full back Yuel Helafu was another surprise omission, but he signed his scholar deal a year later than Kukonki and is a year younger. Comment now
Man Utd name nine academy stars on pro squad list but snub Godwill Kukonki, 18, sparking uncertainty over his future
Full Article
Original Source
Read the full article at Thesun →KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.