Judge denies Karmelo Anthony’s motion for a new trial

Judge denies Karmelo Anthony’s motion for a new trial

The 19-year-old was convicted of murdering a fellow high schooler at a track meet in a case that has captured national attention and inflamed racial tensions.MCKINNEY, Texas (CN) — A Texas judge denied Karmelo Anthony’s motion for a new trial Saturday in the murder of 17-year-old Austin Metcalf at a suburban Dallas track meet.In a two-day hearing that ended Friday evening, Anthony’s appellate attorneys argued he was denied his right to an open trial because of restrictions on the public’s access to the proceedings, which the prosecution argued were necessary because of security risks tied to the high-profile case. Anthony’s lawyers also argued the breakdown of an evidentiary agreement between the defense and prosecution coerced him into waiving his right to testify in his own defense.In his written motion for a new trial, Anthony also raised a third argument, claiming the trial judge improperly instructed the jury that self-defense does not apply if Anthony intentionally provoked the altercation with Metcalf.With the motion denied, the case now moves to the Texas Fifth Court of Appeals, where Anthony is appealing his conviction.“We respect, and expected, the court’s decision denying the motion for a new trial," Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis said in a statement. “The jury’s guilty verdict stands, and we remain confident in the process. Every defendant has the right to appeal, and our thoughts and prayers remain with the Metcalf family in the painful wake of last week’s hearing.”Anthony’s lead appellate attorney, Russell Wilson, did not respond to a request for comment Saturday on retired Kaufman County District Judge Michael Chitty’s decision to deny the motion.Chitty took over the case Wednesday after visiting Judge Sid Harle recused Collin County District Judge John Roach Jr., who presided over the trial, from post-trial proceedings. The defense moved to remove Roach from the case after he gave an interview to a local media outlet in which he said the jury “got it right.”In June, a Collin County jury convicted Anthony of murder over his fatal stabbing of Metcalf at a Frisco, Texas, track meet in April 2025. Anthony has claimed he acted in self-defense after Metcalf shoved him. Witnesses say the confrontation began when Metcalf, who attended Memorial High School, asked Anthony, a Centennial High School student, to leave the Memorial High tent. Anthony has been sentenced to 35 years in prison.With a white victim and a Black defendant, the case has grabbed national attention and inflamed racial tensions.Subscribe to our free newslettersOur weekly newsletter Closing Arguments offers the latest about ongoing trials, major litigation and rulings in courthouses around the U.S. and the world, while the monthly Under the Lights dishes the legal dirt from Hollywood, sports, Big Tech and the arts.Additional Reads

Original Source

Read the full article at Courthousenews →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.