Jharkhand protest LIVE: Govt. cancels JSSC-CGL exam; Devendra Mahto ends 16-day hunger strike

Jharkhand protest LIVE: Govt. cancels JSSC-CGL exam; Devendra Mahto ends 16-day hunger strike

Home News India Jharkhand Ravindra Paswan, leader of the JPSC-JSSC Reform Manch, which has been leading the protest, said the agitation would continue as their key demand of a CBI probe into alleged examination irregularities had not been met Updated - August 18, 2026 10:37 am IST Jharkhand Ministers Deepika Pandey Singh and Irfan Ansari serve juice to hunger-striking student leader Devendra Nath Mahto after state Chief Minister Hemant Soren announces the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination, in Ranchi, Jharkhand, late on Monday, August 17, 2026. | Photo Credit: PTI Students protesting against alleged irregularities in Jharkhand recruitment examinations may take a call on withdrawing the demonstration on Tuesday (August 18, 2026) after the State government cancelled all recruitment tests, including the JSSC-CGL exam, conducted by an outsourced agency since 2014. Ravindra Paswan, leader of the JPSC-JSSC Reform Manch, which has been leading the protest, said the agitation would continue as their key demand of a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into alleged examination irregularities had not been met.Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the cancellation of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination late on Monday (August 18, 2026), 24 days after students began the protest over irregularities in recruitment exams in the State. Mr. Soren said a committee will be formed under senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal to suggest reforms in the conduct of examinations in the State.Also read: Devendra Nath Mahto | The making of an agitatorStudent leader Devendra Mahto, who had been on hunger strike for 16 days over the alleged exam irregularities, broke the fast around Monday midnight, while five others were continuing it, he said. Activist Sonam Wangchuk congratulated Mr. Mahto over a video call, describing the government’s decision as a “victory for everyone”.Follow here for more updates,August 18, 2026 10:37 JPSC-JSSC Reform Manch leader Ravindra Paswan presses for CBI probeStudents protesting against alleged irregularities in Jharkhand recruitment examinations may take a call on withdrawing the demonstration on Tuesday (August 18, 2026) after the State government cancelled all recruitment tests, including the JSSC-CGL exam, conducted by an outsourced agency since 2014. However, Ravindra Paswan, leader of the JPSC-JSSC Reform Manch, which has been leading the protest, said the agitation would continue as their key demand of a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into alleged examination irregularities had not been met.August 18, 2026 10:24 Jharkhand State exam irregularities: CID probe status The CID probing the case of alleged irregularities in the examination conducted searches at the office of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC). Sources said that the CID also questioned JSSC Secretary Sudhir Gupta. A separate team of the CID also conducted a search at Mr. Gupta’s residence in Ranchi.The CID also arrested B.N. Ram, who served as the Personal Secretary to former Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) member Ajita Bhattacharya. Former Chairman of JPSC L. Khiangte has been sent to judicial custody following 48 hours of interrogation. He was arrested on August 10, 2026. Hemant Sorent announces JSSC-CGL exam cancellation; students to continue protest till CBI probe demand is metJharkhand CM Hemant Sorent announces JSSC-CGL exam cancellation; students to continue protest till CBI probe demand is metAugust 18, 2026 10:06 Devendra Nath Mahto ends 16-day hunger strike Reacting to the cancellation of the examination and further action taken by the government, Jharkhand Loktantrik Krantikari Morcha (JLKM) leader Devendra Nath Mahto, who has been on a hunger strike for the past 16 days, said, “Congratulations to all the protesting students, and I also congratulate CM Hemant Soren, who listened to our demands. The most important thing is that the investigation should be conducted meticulously and every corrupt individual involved be apprehended. The masterminds behind these gangs must be caught.”Mr. Mahto ended his hunger strike at Sadar Hospital in Ranchi in the presence of Jharkhand Ministers Dipika Pandey Singh and Irfan Ansari. August 18, 2026 10:03 Jharkhand government cancels JSSC-CGL examJharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the cancellation of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination late on Monday (August 18, 2026), 24 days after students began the protest over alleged irregularities in recruitment exams in the State.The decision was taken during a four-hour emergency Cabinet meeting. He also announced that all examinations conducted since 2014 by TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL), a blacklisted agency, will be cancelled. He further said a committee will be formed under senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal to suggest reforms in the conduct of examinations in the State.Read here the full article, Published - August 18, 2026 10:08 am IST

Original Source

Read the full article at Thehindu →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.