The US launched a 10th consecutive day of strikes on Monday, and Iran retaliated with strikes of its own against the US and its allies in the Middle East.The defence secretary began Tuesday's testimony by saying, "we live in a dangerous world" and that it required bold and swift action.After being interrupted by protesters, Hegseth went on to say his funding request came at an urgent time.Critical investments were needed to prevent adversaries from outpacing the US, he continued."Without these funds, we face critical shortfalls that threaten our ability to also simply pay our service members, rapidly replenish equipment and munitions, and sustain vital operations without disruption," Hegseth said.Every dollar appropriated, he added, would be used to build the "lethality" of US military forces and "reinforce peace through strength".Senate Appropriations Committee chairwoman Susan Collins, a Republican, questioned Hegseth over what the impact would be if the budget needs were not met.Hegseth said current and future training for military members would need to be cut without the funds, as he repeatedly blamed former President Joe Biden's administration for what he said was an underfunded military.The most senior Democrat on the committee, Patty Murray, pushed back on the funding request, saying it "does not make a lot of sense" and accused the Trump administration of attempting to "skirt the normal appropriations process".Asked by Democratic Senator Dick Durbin if he had an estimate for how much the war in Iran has cost so far, Hegseth revealed the $37.5bn figure.Most Democrats are opposed to the supplemental funding request, and there is discontent in Republican ranks too.Some of the fiscal hawks in the Republican Party want spending cuts elsewhere to offset the budget.Either way, the House of Representatives leaves town on Thursday and the two chambers of Congress will not be jointly back in session until September. Even if Republicans can muster the votes, it's going to be a couple of months before the Pentagon can get the funds.The defence department on Tuesday announced the death of Sgt Michael Emmanuel Swinton, a 30-year-old active-duty soldier who was supporting overseas operations in Iraq.A day earlier, the military identified two US service members killed in action in Jordan as Pfc Isabella Gonzales, 19, and 1st Lt Tyler Feehan, 25.During the hearing, Trump - who was not present - posted a list of US wars on social media, including how long they took to end and how many US soldiers died. He wrote that 18 had died in the US war with Iran, which began on 28 February.
Iran war has cost US $37.5bn so far, Hegseth says
Full Article
Original Source
Read the full article at Bbc →KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.