Iran claims it struck US fighter jets with missiles and drones in Jordan

Iran claims it struck US fighter jets with missiles and drones in Jordan

Iran on Friday said it carried out missile and drone strikes targeting US military aircraft stationed in Jordan, claiming that several American fighter jets and aerial refuelling aircraft were destroyed while others suffered serious damage, as the conflict between Washington and Tehran expanded across the Middle East.The claim came amid a sharp escalation in hostilities after the US launched fresh strikes on Iran for a sixth consecutive night, targeting what it described as military infrastructure linked to Tehran's operations around the strategically crucial Strait of Hormuz.According to a statement issued by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Aerospace Force, the attack on US assets in Jordan was conducted in two waves as part of the 14th phase of "Operation Nasr 2". Later, Jordan's military announced that it intercepted and shot down three missiles over its territory."The attack involved several ballistic missiles and numerous drones and resulted in the destruction of several American tankers and fighter jets and serious damage to many more of them," the IRGC said. Iranian state television also reported that US fighter jets stationed in Jordan had been struck.However, the claims have not been independently verified, and there has been no immediate confirmation from the US or Jordan regarding damage to any American aircraft.JORDAN SAYS IT INTERCEPTED IRANIAN MISSILES Hours before Iran's claim, Jordan's military announced that it had intercepted and shot down three Iranian missiles over its territory. Amman said the missiles were destroyed without causing casualties or material damage.The IRGC, meanwhile, urged Jordanians to target what it described as American interests in the country, accusing Washington of aggression against Iran.The developments underline the growing risk of the conflict spilling further across the region, with several US-allied nations increasingly finding themselves in the line of fire.US EXPANDS MILITARY CAMPAIGN AGAINST IRANThe latest Iranian claims came after the US widened its military campaign against Iran, launching a fresh wave of strikes overnight.US Central Command (CENTCOM) said the attacks were aimed at "further degrading Iranian military capabilities" and targeted dozens of sites, including coastal surveillance systems, air-defence positions, military logistics infrastructure and maritime assets.Iranian authorities, however, accused Washington of hitting civilian infrastructure as well.State media and local officials reported strikes near Bandar Abbas, Bushehr and Qeshm Island, while also alleging attacks on Iranshahr Airport, a railway station and multiple bridges in Hormozgan province.The attacks followed a warning by US President Donald Trump earlier this week that Washington could target Iranian bridges and power facilities unless Tehran returned to negotiations.Provincial authorities in Hormozgan said at least seven people were killed in the latest strikes, while Iran's Health Ministry said the renewed fighting has killed at least 38 people and injured more than 400 since hostilities resumed. Earlier Iranian statements had put the death toll at over 35 with more than 300 injured.IRAN CLAIMS STRIKES ACROSS MIDDLE EASTBesides the attacks on US aircraft in Jordan, Iran claimed to have launched retaliatory strikes against American and allied targets across the region.The IRGC said it struck US maritime surveillance radar sites in Oman and hit targets in Kuwait and Bahrain. It also claimed to have targeted a US special operations command centre at al-Tanf in Syria near the Jordanian border, describing it as retaliation for the killing of Iranian soldiers earlier this week.Neither the US nor Syrian authorities have commented on those claims.Iran also launched fresh attacks on several US-aligned countries, including Qatar, which has previously played a key mediating role between Washington and Tehran.HORMUZ REMAINS FLASHPOINTThe fighting continues to centre on the Strait of Hormuz, a critical global oil transit route off Iran's southern coast. The waterway remains effectively shut after Tehran moved to block access in response to US and Israeli military actions. The disruption has raised concerns over global energy supplies and shipping.International Energy Agency chief Fatih Birol warned that prolonged instability could have serious consequences for energy markets. "We should be worried, and I am worried, if the situation does not improve in the next few weeks," he said.Meanwhile, the US said it has intensified maritime operations in the Gulf of Oman. Centcom confirmed that US Marines boarded an oil tanker as part of a renewed blockade of Iranian ports, claiming that American forces had previously disabled nine vessels and redirected more than 140 ships during earlier enforcement operations.With a temporary ceasefire brokered last month now collapsed, diplomatic efforts appeared stalled.On Friday, the foreign ministers of China and Pakistan called on both the US and Iran to halt military operations and return to negotiations, as fears grow that the confrontation could trigger a wider regional conflict.- EndsPublished By: Sahil SinhaPublished On: Jul 17, 2026 14:58 IST

Original Source

Read the full article at Indiatoday →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.