AN ARMED robber involved in Britain’s biggest ever cash heist could be released from prison within weeks — despite £30million still missing. Stuart Royle, 67, has been granted a parole hearing on September 10 after he was jailed for his role in the infamous £53million Securitas robbery in Tonbridge, Kent, in 2006. Royle had his last parole bid denied in 2024 after the Parole Board deemed he was too dangerous to the public Credit: Collect CCTV footage of robbers holding staff at gunpoint during the Securitas depot robbery. Credit: Kent Police The former car salesman was jailed indefinitely in 2008 and ordered to serve at least 15 years after being convicted of conspiracy to kidnap, conspiracy to rob and possession of a firearm. He was sentenced to a further six years in 2012 after he failed to comply with a £2million confiscation order. Sign up for The Sun newsletter Thank you! Royle had his last parole bid denied in 2024 after the Parole Board deemed he was too dangerous to the public. The board also did not recommend he be moved into an open prison. He was reportedly the gang’s transport man and helped identify the home of Colin Dixon, whose kidnapping was central to the success of the raid. The raid began on the evening of February 21, 2006 when two gang members posed as police officers and kidnapped the depot manager, Colin Dixon, on his way home from work. The callous gang then abducted Dixon’s wife and eight-year-old son from their home and took all three to the cash depot where they were used as hostages to force staff to open up the facility. The seven masked men held the family and 14 staff members at gunpoint, handcuffing them and making them lie on the floor while they stole almost £53million. Most read in The Sun CCTV footage of Britain’s biggest cash robbery taking place at the Securitas depot in Tonbridge, Kent, in February 2006 Credit: PA:Press Association The 7.5 tonne lorry used to steal £53million in Britain’s biggest ever cash heist sat in the loading bay Credit: Central News Over £30million was never recovered by police during the infamous Securitas raid Credit: Central News Police search a lorry in Kent as part of their investigation into the stolen £53million Credit: PA:Press Association Royle and his six accomplices left behind £154million because their seven-and-a-half tonne lorry wasn’t big enough to transport it all. Only £21million was ever recovered, with the remainder believed to have been moved through organised criminal groups. Colin Dixon later called the raid “the worst night of my life”. Earlier this year, Kent Police confirmed the robbery remains a live investigation with more than £30million still outstanding. Royle’s last parole bid in 2024 was denied after the Parole Board was not satisfied that releasing him would be safe for the protection of the public. The board also did not recommend him be released into an open prison. Two men were charged last year for plotting the shooting of another of the Securitas gang, former cage fighter Paul Allen, who was hit twice and left paralysed from the chest down. Chief Constable of Kent Police, Tim Smith, who was one of two senior investigating officers in charge of the Securitas investigation, said: “The robbery, including the kidnap of the depot manager, is one of the most elaborate in UK criminal history but it also stands as an example of Kent Police’s commitment to bringing offenders to justice and tackling organised crime. “While the heist itself captured widespread attention, and understandably so, at the heart of this were terrified victims who were held and threatened at gunpoint.” A Parole Board spokesperson said: “Parole Board decisions are solely focused on what risk a prisoner could represent to the public if released and whether that risk is manageable in the community. “A panel will carefully examine a huge range of evidence, including details of the original crime, and any evidence of behaviour change, as well as explore the harm done and impact the crime has had on the victims. “Parole reviews are undertaken thoroughly and with extreme care. Protecting the public is our number one priority.” Comment now
Infamous armed robber could be back on streets within weeks after parole hearing… even though £30m haul is still MISSING
Full Article
Original Source
Read the full article at Thesun →KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.