Hundreds walk through Brookfield after alleged early morning sexual assault

Hundreds walk through Brookfield after alleged early morning sexual assault

Hundreds of people have walked in solidarity to oppose violence against women following an alleged sexual assault in Brisbane's west.Crowds gathered in the suburb of Brookfield this morning and walked along Brookfield Road in a display of community strength and support.It comes after a 23-year-old woman was allegedly stalked and sexually assaulted while walking in the area on Thursday morning.The area where a young women was allegedly sexually assaulted last week is a popular walking spot. (ABC News: Lucy Loram)Police allege 32-year-old Jacob Dave Henry Hauraki had been driving to work and approached the woman from behind, then dragged her into nearby bushes.He has been charged with six counts of rape, and one count each of stalking, assault with intent to commit rape, assault occasioning bodily harm and deprivation of liberty.Mr Hauraki remains in custody and is expected to reappear in court on September 18.Drawing 'a line in the sand'Event organiser Emily Hall said she wanted to highlight the "spirit of community in Brookfield" in the wake of the alleged assault."[We wanted] to put a line in the sand and say as a community we will not stand for violence against anyone, particularly women," Ms Hall said.Emily Hall organised the event to "highlight the spirit of community" in Brookfield. (ABC News)"It's an issue for everyone, and we all need to stand up."We all need to be prepared to call out behaviours that we don't think are appropriate and support one another when these incidents do occur."Local state MP Christian Rowan said it was "very encouraging" to see Brookfield residents come together."Our community is united," Mr Rowan said."It's really important when it comes to ending not only sexual violence against women, but also all forms of violence across communities, not only locally, but throughout Queensland and Australia."A number of alleged sexual assault incidents have made headlines around the country this month. (ABC News: Emma Johnson)Hope for changeThe alleged rape at Brookfield is one of several alleged sexual assault incidents to make news across Australia in recent weeks.Police from Victoria's sexual crimes squad are investigating a report of sexual assault, which the ABC understands centres on a Sydney Swans player allegedly touching a woman without her consent.In NSW, three 17-year-old boys were charged over the alleged group sexual assault of a 17-year-old girl in Sydney's south-west last Saturday.And earlier this month, a 13-year-old boy and two 14-year-old boys were charged with the alleged sexual assault of a girl in a Sydney alleyway.Brookfield resident Debbie Moylan says she regularly walks in the area with her three daughters. (ABC News)Mother-of-three Debbie Moylan said she joined the Brookfield walk to send a message."It really shows that there are a lot of people out here thinking about what's going on in the world at the moment," she said."They're worried, they're scared."With everyone showing up, it gives us the hope that there is change."

Original Source

Read the full article at Abc →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.