Oleksii Yukov, the 40-year-old head of Ukraine’s search unit Platsdarm, died Wednesday, Aug. 5, after two decades of service.News of his death first surfaced through his wife, Yevheniia Kaluhina, who announced her husband’s death in a brief Facebook post. His fellow service member and activist Serhiy Hnezdilov followed with a longer tribute, confirming that Yukov sustained fatal injuries during the exhumation of bodies on the frontline.JOIN US ON TELEGRAMFollow our coverage of the war on the @Kyivpost_official.“This is a great loss for me personally and for the people close to me,” Hnezdilov wrote, adding that “for much of his life, he gave names back to the dead.”He noted that Yukov’s name “will always be associated with Donbas and with respect for every fallen soldier he helped bring back to their family.”Yukov died while exhuming bodies in the Lyman community of the Donetsk region, after being wounded on the contact line itself, United24Media reported.A career spent recovering the fallenYukov grew up in Sloviansk, a city in the northern part of the Donetsk region, and had spent nearly 27 years searching for the remains of fallen and missing service members, according to Ukrainska Pravda.He was still a teenager when he first joined a group excavating World War II battle sites, a pursuit that would eventually define the course of his life’s work.He later became head of the search group at the Platsdarm Association of Researchers of Military and Historical Heritage in 2014. Other Topics of Interest UK Defense Chief Streeting Visits Kyiv for First Time Talks focused on missile defense, joint arms production and sanctions targeting Russia’s ballistic missile industry. “When the full-scale war started [in 2022], there was not only more work, but more pain,” Yukov told Ukrainska Pravda, adding that he “could not have imagined it would be like this, although I understood that the war was not over and that Russia would soon come back.”“But back then, everyone laughed at that,” he continued.According to United24Media, Yukov broadened his focus to recover both civilian and military casualties, while his team took on the added task of retrieving Russian soldier’s remains for use in prisoner and repatriation exchanges.Thousand of soldiers recoveredOver four years of Russia’s war, Yukov’s team recovered the remains of more than 3,500 soldiers.He described the process to Ukrainska Pravda, explaining that the search unit surveys areas by drone, clears mines with bomb disposal experts, and only then searches methodically for remains.“We always set off early in the morning,” Yukov said, adding that his unit usually continues work until late at night, sometimes even camping in the field overnight.“Many bodies are dragged away by animals,” he continued. “We’ve found teeth, finger bones and pieces of bone” through animal feces – “things that were not digested.”A near-fatal injury in 2023According to Ukrainska Pravda, Yukov had previously survived a near-fatal injury in the Kharkiv region while searching for a fallen soldier’s remains.“I went ahead, as I always do,” he said.“I was walking, and I heard a click. I instantly jumped to the side – and then came the explosion,” Yukov had recalled in an earlier interview, describing the injury that cost him an eye.“The tactical goggles had been pierced right through,” he said.Within two weeks, he had returned to his frontline work, continuing to risk his life as Russian bombardment continued.The hidden dangers of body recovery workYukov’s death highlights a threat that extends well beyond the frontline itself, reaching into almost every stage of Ukraine’s repatriation process.Ukrainian authorities have reported finding explosive devices, including grenades, hidden inside soldiers’ remains repatriated from Russia, making safety checks a mandatory step long before any identification work can begin.According to Taras Tarasenko, the deputy head of the investigative department at the National Police directorate in Kirovohrad region, investigators sometimes receive batches of up to 250 bodies at once, making it physically impossible to process all of them in a single day.Investigators have also reported receiving mixed remains of multiple individuals that must be separated through DNA testing before any family can be notified, meaning years can pass between a person’s disappearance and identification. Kyiv Post is Ukraine’s first and oldest English news organization, reporting since 1995. Its international reach – 97% of readers are outside of Ukraine – make it truly Ukraine’s global voice.
Head of Ukrainian Search Unit Yukov Killed While Exhuming Bodies
Full Article
Original Source
Read the full article at Kyivpost →KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.