‘He hesitated’ – Jose Mourinho reveals Rodri had ‘doubts’ about Real Madrid before sealing transfer to Barcelona

‘He hesitated’ – Jose Mourinho reveals Rodri had ‘doubts’ about Real Madrid before sealing transfer to Barcelona

REAL MADRID boss Jose Mourinho has opened up on the reasons behind Rodri’s snub of the Spanish giants. The World Cup winner departed Manchester City for Barcelona after a glittering career in the north west. Jose Mourinho has opened up on Rodri’s decision to join Barcelona over Madrid Credit: Getty Rodri signed with Madrid’s rivals despite having been approached by the side Credit: Getty But things might have ended up very differently for the midfielder, who just days earlier had been engaged in transfer discussions with their rivals Madrid. Los Blancos appeared to be in pole position to add the former Ballon d’Or winner to Mourinho’s rebuild at the Santiago Bernabeu. Sign up for the Football newsletter Thank you! Dream Team is back, free, and there’s £100,000 up for grabs! But Barcelona swooped in after Rodri was thought to have doubts about the project in the Spanish capital. Mourinho accepted that Rodri was hesitant to join his squad, but that same hesitation told the Special One that he would not be a big loss. The legendary tactician told El Chiringuito: “I don’t miss Rodri, we have solutions, we have quality. I like to think I have the ability to improve players. “I spoke with him a couple of times, and Real Madrid made him a very good offer. I think there’s a very good relationship with City. “Without negotiating with City, the club has been in contact with Rodri and made him a significant offer. “Rodri had doubts, he hesitated, and Rodri’s doubts created doubts for me. Most read in Sport CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO BONUSES FROM £10 DEPOSITS “Real Madrid is of a stature that can’t have players who think twice about it.” There were reports claiming that Pep Guardiola himself called his old player and highlighted the culture and pedigree of Barcelona. Whatever the reason, Madrid have hardly been light on business so far this summer, having brought Yan Diomande, Ibrahima Konate, Bernardo Silva and Marc Cucurella to the club, among others. But Mourinho claimed that his transfer window is now closed after missing out on Rodri, with their LaLiga season starting on Saturday with an opener against Espanyol. Comment now

Original Source

Read the full article at Thesun →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.