Hanur shoot-out: Funeral of deceased held, MLA distributes compensation to next of kin

Hanur shoot-out: Funeral of deceased held, MLA distributes compensation to next of kin

MLA for Hanur Manjunath handing over compensation amount to the next of kin of one of the victims of the shoot-out at the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary in Hanur taluk, on Monday. | Photo Credit: SPECIAL ARRANGEMENT The funerals of the three men, who were allegedly killed in firing by the Forest Department personnel at Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary in Hanur taluk, were held in their respective native villages on Monday.After the post-mortem at Mysore Medical College and Research Institute on Sunday, the bodies were brought to Thomiyarpalya village in separate ambulances under police security.The bodies of the three persons were taken in a procession to Thomiyarpalya Church on Monday. A mass prayer was held for the deceased at the church.While the funeral of Kumar was held at the Christian community’s burial ground in Thomiyarpalya, the funerals of Peter and Anthony were held at Mariyamangala.MLA for Hanur M.R. Manjunath; former MLA R. Narendra and Kusumaraj, son of Minister C. Puttarangashetty paid their last respects to the deceased.CompensationEarlier, Mr. Manjunath distributed ₹15 lakh compensation to each family of the deceased.The MLA visited the villages of the deceased and handed over the compensation to the family members in the form of cheques and cash and offered his condolences.Speaking to reporters, Mr. Manjunath said the compensation of ₹15 lakh had been provided to the families on humanitarian grounds, considering their socio-economic condition, and in accordance with the assurance given to them.The amount comprised ₹5 lakh from the government, ₹2 lakh from Mr. Puttarangashetty and ₹8 lakh contributed by him, totalling ₹15 lakh per family, he said.“Such an incident should not have happened. Steps will be taken to ensure that such incidents do not recur. A meeting of senior officials will be convened under the leadership of Mr. Puttarangashetty and necessary measures will be taken,” he said.The investigation into the incident was in progress, he said, adding that he would demand legal action against those responsible as soon as the preliminary report was received. Published - August 17, 2026 08:45 pm IST

Original Source

Read the full article at Thehindu →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.