Flood-weary Nan braces for more rain on Sunday

Flood-weary Nan braces for more rain on Sunday

Four districts ordered to prepare as recovery from earlier deluge continues Volunteers use drones to deliver food and drinking water to residents in Pua district of Nan on Saturday after a bridge was cut off by flash floods. Work was under way to build a Bailey bridge to restore access. (Photo: Nan provincial public relations office) Authorities are closely monitoring the Nan River basin as water levels begin to stabilise and recede in several areas, while preparing for more rain forecast to hit the flood-weary northern province on Sunday.Officials have been closely tracking rainfall, water volumes and local conditions to ensure timely warnings and assistance for residents, deputy government spokesperson Lalida Persvivatana said on Saturday. According to an assessment by the Office of the National Water Resources (ONWR), four districts in the upper Nan basin — Pua, Song Khwae, Chiang Klang and Thung Chang — will require close monitoring on Sunday. The four districts could receive accumulated rainfall of 50 to 70 millimetres over 24 hours, said Ms Lalida. Ground saturated The forecast rainfall is not expected to be as heavy as earlier in the week, when up to 380mm of rain fell in some areas on Wednesday alone. However, soil in some areas remains saturated from earlier downpours, prompting authorities to maintain close monitoring, she said. “Although this spell of rain is not expected to be as heavy as the previous one, accumulated soil moisture will reduce the ground’s capacity to absorb additional rainfall, causing water to flow into waterways more quickly,” she said. “The government has therefore prioritised advance preparations, particularly in foothill areas, near waterways and in low-lying areas, so residents can receive information and warnings quickly if conditions change.” Ms Lalida stressed that despite improving conditions in many areas, the government was not letting its guard down, particularly with rain forecast in upstream areas on Sunday. She urged residents to continue their daily activities as normal while monitoring updates from official agencies. Authorities are also monitoring water flows from the upper basin affecting Tha Wang Pha, Muang Nan, Phu Phiang and Wiang Sa districts. Nan has been the hardest-hit province after flash floods swept through Pua district before a huge volume of water flowed downstream and inundated Muang Nan district. Floodwaters in the central commercial area of Muang Nan have now receded to near-normal levels, allowing authorities to shift their focus to recovery and cleaning homes, shops, roads and public areas. 4,000 people still cut off In Pua district of Nan, more than 4,000 residents in 14 villages remained cut off from the outside world for a fourth consecutive day on Saturday following flash floods and landslides. Drones were being used to deliver food and drinking water while work began to build a Bailey bridge, after the Fai Chao bridge in tambon Woranakhon was swept away by flash floods, leaving the communities isolated. A special relief team from the Princess Pa Foundation under the Thai Red Cross Society, volunteers from the Prasat Boonsathan Foundation in Phitsanulok, Kubota’s disaster-response drone team and the Singha volunteers team, were stepping up relief operations in Pua on Saturday. A Department of Highways construction team from Phichit was rushing to transport Bailey bridge components to the Doi Phu Kha area. The bridge is expected to restore road access and allow relief supplies and assistance to reach villages that have been cut off.

Original Source

Read the full article at Bangkokpost →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.