Ederson remains puzzled by Manchester United's decision to abandon his summer transfer despite insisting his medical went well. The Brazilian midfielder has since renewed his Atalanta contract after turning down other options while expecting a move to Old Trafford.Ederson says he does not know why United ended negotiations. (Photo: Reuters)Ederson, the Brazil and Atalanta midfielder, has admitted he remains baffled by the collapse of his proposed move to Manchester United this summer. The 27-year-old believed his switch to Old Trafford was progressing normally before the Premier League club eventually abandoned the deal.Manchester United had agreed a deal worth around 35 million pounds with Atalanta for Ederson, who was expected to become Michael Carrick's first major signing as the club's permanent manager. Reports later suggested concerns emerged during his medical, particularly around his knee, but Ederson says the tests he underwent went well."I honestly don't know what happened. I always had interest from other clubs, and I could've gone to another English side," Ederson told reporters."The tests went well, I don't know what changed. I've been with Atalanta for four years and always played." The midfielder had reportedly turned down other options while preparing for a move to England. Instead, with the United transfer falling apart, Ederson decided to remain in Bergamo and signed a new contract with Atalanta.MEDICAL REMAINS A MYSTERYEderson's comments add another layer to a transfer saga that appeared close to completion before United changed direction. The midfielder had been included in Brazil's World Cup squad and was in the United States when the initial stages of his medical were conducted. Reports from England claimed United's medical team detected a knee issue and subsequently requested further examinations before the club decided not to proceed.From Ederson's perspective, however, there was no indication that the medical had raised a serious concern."I could've just waited to see what happened, but the great rapport with the club convinced me to stay and sign a new contract," he said."I am very happy to remain with Atalanta, I really thank the club and Luca Percassi."Ederson had entered the summer with only a year remaining on his previous Atalanta contract, which helped United negotiate a relatively modest fee for a midfielder who had become an important part of Gian Piero Gasperini's side.MANCHESTER UNITED MOVE ONManchester United have since shifted their midfield plans elsewhere. Youri Tielemans arrived from Aston Villa for around £35 million, while Andrey Santos joined from Chelsea in a deal worth approximately £48 million.The club's attention has now turned to Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba, with United reportedly pushing to bring the Cameroon international to Old Trafford.For Ederson, meanwhile, the failed move has ended with a new contract and another season in Serie A. The Brazilian may have missed out on his Premier League move, but he appears content with how the unexpected turn of events eventually played out.- EndsPublished By: Debodinna ChakrabortyPublished On: Aug 20, 2026 08:03 IST
Ederson still puzzled by failed Manchester United move
Full Article
Original Source
Read the full article at Indiatoday →KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.