Unidentified drones have breached restricted airspace surrounding Australia's main fighter pilot training base for the second time in a month, according to police.The Williamtown RAAF base, 30 kilometres north of Newcastle, is home to the majority of Australia's F-35A fighter jet fleet as well as a range of other military aircraft.Earlier this month the Department of Defence confirmed it was investigating reports of multiple unidentified drones flying around the base and the neighbouring Newcastle Airport over several days in July.On Thursday, New South Wales Police confirmed a second incursion occurred in early August.The incursion follows a similar airspace breach in July. (ABC News: David Marchese)A police spokesperson said officers were working with the Australian Defence Force and partner agencies to identify the "uncrewed aircraft systems" and their pilots.Multiple no-fly zones are in place around the RAAF base and penalties for breaches range up to $18,200.Security shortfallStrategic Analysis Australia director Michael Shoebridge said the latest breach was a sign of a serious security shortfall."It's very concerning because it shows Defence is unable to protect its bases," he told ABC Newcastle Mornings."They've got all these layered security precautions … but it turns out if you have a drone you can just fly it around over the base."The Williamtown RAAF base is home to the majority of Australia's F-35A fighter jet fleet. (Department of Defence: CPL Craig Barrett)Mr Shoebridge argues Australia's ability to counter drone surveillance is lagging behind other comparable countries and putting military operations at risk."This is a known problem that European nations have been facing for a while," he said."We need to see actual counter drone systems put on our key bases … [that includes] short- range shotguns with modified rounds that can bring drones down."If it's not possible, then these hundred-million-dollar aircraft are completely vulnerable."On a visit to the Hunter region last week Prime Minister Anthony Albanese was asked about the first incursion, which occurred in July."Defence will work with New South Wales Police on these issues to make sure that the area around the airport can operate safely, because that is absolutely critical," he said."It is unsafe and dangerous to have drones around airspace. It makes no sense for that to occur."Government beefing up drone defencesLast year the federal government made changes to defence regulations to allow defence personnel to seize, disable or destroy drones in the vicinity of Defence sites.It says it is also committed to spending up to $22 billion over the next 10 years on drone and counter-drone capabilities.Richard Marles says the federal government is beefing up its defence to drone surveillance. (ABC News: Matt Roberts)“Drones are a serious and rapidly evolving security challenge," Defence Minister Richard Marles said."Project LAND 156 is delivering counter-drone systems, including jammers, sensors and electronic warfare technologies, right now to ADF personnel."We will introduce additional legislative reform this year to further strengthen the ADF’s ability to counter drone threats."The Coalition has criticised the government for being too slow to act."More laws don’t take drones out of the sky — real capability does," Shadow Defence Minister James Paterson said."The Albanese government must stop kicking the can down the road and take steps to deliver immediate action to protect our bases today."Investigations into the incidents are continuing.
Drones breach RAAF airspace for second time in a month
Full Article
Original Source
Read the full article at Abc →KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.