THE reopening of a probe into an alleged firebomb attack at Nigel Farage’s home is directly linked to Ann Widdecombe’s death, the Reform leader said. Mr Farage first spoke about the attack at his home in Bromley, Kent, earlier this year. Alongside Zia Yusuf Mr Farage said foreign offenders would be sent to prisons in El Salvador Credit: Getty Mr Farage doubled down on the policy in a press conference today Credit: PA Counterrorism cops have now referred themselves to the Independent Office of Police Conduct (IOPC) over the reported attack. Speaking to reporters today, Mr Farage said: “Clearly, counter-terrorism made some mistakes, which is why they referred themselves to the Independent Office of Police Conduct (IOPC). Sign up for the Politics newsletter Thank you! “I understand this is a completely unprecedented move, and yes, this is directly linked to the murder of Ann Widdecombe, and I’m afraid I just can’t tell you any more than that at this stage.” The Reform UK leader added: “It’s a great, great tragedy that it took the death of Ann for the security services in Britain to finally take seriously the safety and security of Reform politicians and Reform prominent figures. “Up until that moment, we had been treated very differently to everybody else.” Mr Farage later said: “I’m not going to say anything now to prejudice, because I do actually believe in my heart that counter-terrorism are now seriously doing this job and I have confidence in them.” Mr Farage is said to have been horrified that police botched the initial investigation into the alleged firebomb attack on his home. Counter terror officers probing Ann’s death at her Dartmoor bungalow are now looking again at the April 2025 incident in London. Most read in The Sun They said they had found a line of inquiry that they did not investigate at the time. Mr Farage revealed that a “lit incendiary device” was pushed through his letterbox during the reported attack. At the time, police believed it was an attempted burglary gone wrong and the case was closed with no arrests made. But on Friday night counter-terror policing admitted there was a line of inquiry “which was not identified and pursued by them at the time, which may have been relevant”. Meanwhile, officers continue to investigate potential terrorist offences related to Ann’s murder last month in Haytor, Devon. There is no suggestion from police that the events are linked, nor has anyone been arrested over the burglary in April 2025. A source said at the time: “There has been a very serious policing error which is why counter terror police have referred themselves to IOPC, which is unprecedented.” Today, Mr Farage said he has confidence in the police after the probe was reopened. Asked by reporters about Counter Terrorism Policing referring themselves to the Independent Office of Police Conduct (IOPC), the Reform UK leader said: “Do I have confidence now? Yes. “The fact that counterterrorism have been honest enough to say, ‘Mr Farage, when it came to the incident that happened to you in April 2025’, to publicly admit they got it wrong and to refer themselves to the IOPC. “Now they’re obviously very, very scared of what the truth is when it comes out. “But the fact they’ve done that shows you they’re not trying to cover up, they’re not trying to ignore, and I have to say, I have met Laurence Taylor (the head of Counter Terrorism Policing), and I did feel a great, great confidence in it.” It followed revelations he received a seven-figure personal gift to pay for his security.
Counter-terror cops reopening probe into firebombing of my home is directly linked to Ann Widdecombe death, Farage says
Full Article
Original Source
Read the full article at Thesun →KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.