COP killers, historic paedos – including grooming gang members – and an evil mum who turned a blind eye before her baby died are among the lags who still could be freed early as part of Labour’s soft justice scheme. Thousands of dangerous offenders will soon be walking UK streets despite Andy Burnham‘s attempts to U-turn the government plans after nationwide outrage. Albert Bowers (left) and Jessie Cole (centre) – who killed PC Andrew Harper – could be released early Credit: PA Dana Carr – who stood by as her toddler was killed – could have been back on the street’s by Christmas Credit: NNP Under the new Sentencing Act, which received royal assent in January, a swathe of prisoners were set to be released from September in a bid to ease overcrowding. However, the new PM paused the scheme last month as he ordered a major Ministry of Justice (MoJ) review to identify any grooming gang members who could be eligible for early release. Sign up for The Sun newsletter Thank you! But it is set to resume instead on October 1 – with thousands of sex offenders, domestic abusers and killers still to see their sentences drastically reduced by two thirds. Burnham has expressed his frustration that he can only block the release of those serving time for rape, serious child sex offences and grooming convictions. He said this week: “The truth is I wanted to go even further. I know there will be concerns about who will still be released early for other offences.” Top lawyer Marcus Johnstone told The Sun: “The early release scheme will undoubtedly result in many more dangerous violent and sexual offenders on our streets. Maya was shaken to death by her mum’s boyfriend Credit: NNP PC Andrew Harper and his wife, Lissie Credit: PA “These offenders will be released back into the areas where their crimes were committed, possibly without notice or warning to their victims.” He said releasing criminals halfway through their sentence is already considered by many victims as “an affront to justice” but now the UK will be seen as the “go to” destination to commit serious crimes. Most read in The Sun He added: “Little chance of being detected but, if caught, little time behind bars.” Mr Johnstone – MD of PCD Solicitors – said: “Our prisons are full. We are now releasing dangerous violent and sexual offenders early simply to make space so we can then send new violent and sexual offenders to prison. “We will then release them early so we can sent more new offenders to prison. One out, one in.” It comes as the Police Federation threatened the Government with possible legal action over the potential release of two of PC Andrew Harper’s killers. In response, the PM is reported to be preparing to explore “explore every option” to keep Jessie Cole and Albert Bowers in prison despite previously saying he was powerless to stop their release, a government source told The Sun. A final decision has yet to be made but Whitehall officials are looking at a special exemption for the pair who killed the hero cop, The Telegraph reported. PC Harper’s killers Henry Long, Jessie Cole and Albert Bowers Credit: PA Evil Carr lied about her daughter’s bruises Credit: NNP Meanwhile, five men from Bradford sentenced to a combined 35 years in prison last October for abusing a girl in care from the age of 13 during the early 2000s are among those whose offences are not currently included on the exclusion list. It’s emerged that offences committed before a change to the law in 2003 will not be covered, regardless of when the offender was brought to justice. Mohammed Imran Akram, Safraz Ahmed Latif, Wajid Hussain, Mohammed Naheem and Nadeem Ali were all found guilty on various counts of indecent assault and each sentenced to between six and eight years in prison. Cruel mum Dana Carr, now 27, who turned a blind eye to the horrific abuse Michael Daymond inflicted on little Maya Chappell, could still also be let out early once the scheme resumes in a matter of weeks. Wajid Hussain was convicted for indecent assault Credit: West Yorkshire Police Mohammed Naheem may be eligible for early release despite being a member of a grooming gang Credit: West Yorkshire Police Carr was locked up for nine years in 2023 after being convicted of allowing the death of a child and child cruelty. Maya’s devastated family were left fuming after discovering Carr could have been back on the streets by Christmas just three years into her sentence, branding it as a “disgusting joke”. They expressed their delight when Burnham paused the scheme – but Carr could still be released early when it resumes. Driving offences will not be blocked from early release – with Calvin Buckley devastated to hear Adil Iqbal – who killed his pregnant partner Frankie Jules-Hough in a 93mph motorway crash in 2023 – is set to see his sentence reduced. “To kill somebody and to have your sentence reduced is just not right. Our justice has been taken away,” Calvin told the BBC. Vicki Crawford, who was 14 when she was attacked in the 1980s, found out this month that her attacker will also be eligible for early release, despite being jailed in 2024. She told The Times: “They’ve taken a lazy approach and not looked at what offences mean in real terms. They don’t class mine as serious enough. It’s a total double standard to do that to victims of historical sex offences, because it’s an easy out for them. “It still feels like yet another betrayal. I’ve had a lot of them throughout the justice system in my own case. Prime Minister Andy Burnham paused the scheme last month – but it is set to resume in October Credit: AP Vicki Crawford called on the Labour party to introduce emergency legislation that would ensure no serious violent offenders are let out of prison under the government’s early-release policy Credit: Getty “It scares me that there are going to be a lot of other people that don’t fully understand why they’ve been excluded.” As part of the scheme, up to 363 offenders convicted of manslaughter could be back on UK streets by 2029 after serving as little as one third of their sentence, according to new analysis of official data. The figures, reported by the Daily Mail, were compiled by the Tories using stats from the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) to form estimates on the number of killers who received an immediate or “standard determinate sentence”. Under Labour’s Sentencing Act, passed this year, some killer lags could be released after serving 33 percent of their jail term if they were handed less than four years – providing they’ve shown good behaviour. Petition to stop the early release from jail of PC Andrew Harper's killers Aileen O'Connor, Thames Valley Police Federation Chair, has launched a petition demanding a stop to the early release of PC Harper's killers. The petition has already soared past 100,000 signatures after it was posted earlier on Tuesday. Hundreds more have taken to the comments to show their support after the Government’s decision on PC Harper’s killers sparked outrage across the country. O’Connor said in the petition that she was “absolutely outraged” at both the Prime Minister, Andy Burnham, and Justice Secretary. She challenged them to “explain why those responsible for killing a police officer should still be eligible for early release”. The decision, she said, “is an insult to Andrew’s family, his friends, his colleagues and the entire policing family”. O’Connor added they have watched a “justice system that they trusted” fail to recognise the sacrifices made by those who “serve and protect the public”. It sends a “deeply troubling message” about the value the Government places on people who have made those sacrifices, she continued. O’Connor concluded with a defiant message, saying: “I will not stand by while the voices of Andrew’s family, his colleagues and police officers across this country continue to be ignored.” To sign the petition click here. While those given four or more years must serve half their sentence. Ministers plan to release 5,000 offenders from prison starting in October as part of the scheme to reduce jail overcrowding. More than 9,000 domestic abusers are also set to be freed annually within three years as part of the new plans. The Tory analysis shows 9,371 of these criminals could be out of prison by the end of this Parliament in 2029. Frankie Jules-Hough, 38, who was killed in a crash Credit: PA Adil Iqbal was jailed for 12 years for killing pregnant mum Frankie Credit: PA Labour, under Sir Keir Starmer and now Burnham, has already freed more than 70,000 inmates from prison under its existing early release scheme – SDS40 – launched weeks after the party’s 2024 election win. SDS40 doesn’t apply to those convicted of manslaughter, or other violent crimes, if lags were sentenced to four years or more – but does apply to those serving more than four years, though with some exceptions. But affords even more liberal reductions for many offenders – with Labour adamant the moves are necessary to reduce prison overcrowding. The Government has blamed the Tories for failing to put adequate infrastructure in place to properly contain a larger number of prisoners. PM Burnham – who was sworn into 10 Downing Street on July 20 – announced this week that rapists and child sex offenders would not be eligible for early release as part of the scheme. In a statement, No 10 said it would ensure that “everything possible is being done so that vile groomers are dealt with in the way their victims deserve”. But officials warned that the government may lack the legal mechanism to block their early release. PC Harper’s widow, Lissie Harper, told Burnham: “You should be ashamed.” She described the planned early release of two of his killers as a “punch in the gut”. And she has thrown her weight behind an online Thames Valley Police Federation petition to stop his killers being freed. PC Harper died while investigating the theft of a £10,000 quad bike near Sulhamstead, Berks, in August 2019. Bowers and Cole, then 17, tried to escape in a car driven by Henry Long, 18. The 28-year-old officer’s ankles got caught in a heavy-duty tow strap and he suffered catastrophic injuries as he was dragged in the dark for more than a mile at an average 43mph. Bowers and Cole were sentenced to 13 years in July 2020, meaning they could be released by October. Long, the main perpetrator, who pleaded guilty, got 16 years and is not eligible for release under the scheme. Other child sex offenders who may fall within the scope of the scheme include Kevin Pritchard, 65, who abused three girls aged under 12 between the 1970s and 1990s and was given a 13-year sentence in 2021. Other potential candidates for early release include Andrew Fox, guilty of offences against two boys in the 1990s and early 2000s – though not investigated until 2017 before being handed a seven-year sentence in 2024. Piano teacher Andrew Roberts, who abused two boys under 10 at an East Sussex boarding school between 1964 and 1974 was sentenced to six years in 2024.
Cop killers, grooming gang members & cruel mum who allowed baby to die among 1000s of lags who could be released early
Full Article
Original Source
Read the full article at Thesun →KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.