Priyank Kharge. | Photo Credit: File photo Bengaluru city police have detained 15 people who are allegedly Bangladeshi nationals staying illegally in the city without valid visa or citizenship documents. The detentions were made during a special drive conducted by the Bengaluru city police on Saturday.The police teams visited over 30 places across the city and initiated a verification process. A total of 1,909 suspected persons were checked during the operation. Police scrutinised their backgrounds, nationality and identity documents, including visas and passports.The detainees were allegedly from Bagerhat and Khulna in Bangladesh. Police said further legal action would be initiated against all 15 persons under applicable laws. Their verified documents are being submitted to the Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO) for deportation.The drive primarily covered the eastern and southeastern parts of the city. Saidulu Adavath, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Whitefield, said police visited nearly 30 locations, in his jurisdiction.Speaking about the drive, Home Minister Priyank Kharge said that over 1,000 illegal immigrants had been found in the last three months. He said a dedicated team would be formed for the purpose if needed. He further noted that the State does not share a border with other countries and illegal entry is taking place through northern States with porous borders.“We are in touch with Border Security Force,” he said.Rights groups opposeTaking exception to the drive, the People’s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL), All India Lawyers Association for Justice (AILAJ), and others have written to Karnataka Director General of Police and Mr. Kharge, stating that the action is “illegal and constitutionally impermissible.”“The police conducted ‘verifications’ and checked their documents, seized several people’s phones and checked their private messages and call logs.... The presence of a foreign number on a phone does not prove or even create a prima facie case to presume foreign citizenship,” a statement by the unions said. They have demanded their immediate release. Published - August 08, 2026 06:40 pm IST
Bengaluru police launch drive to identify, deport illegal immigrants
Full Article
Original Source
Read the full article at Thehindu →KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.