Ukraine’s Defense Forces struck four Russian warships during an overnight operation at the Novorossiysk naval base in Russia’s Krasnodar region.The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine (AFU) and Ukraine’s Security Service (SBU) confirmed that the strikes were part of a joint operation carried out on the night of Wednesday, Aug. 12.JOIN US ON TELEGRAMFollow our coverage of the war on the @Kyivpost_official.According to preliminary data, damage of varying degrees was caused to two Project 11356 frigates, “Admiral Makarov” and “Admiral Essen”, as well as the Project 21631 small missile ship “Buyan-M” and the Project 22160 patrol ship “Vasily Bykov.”“Ukraine’s Defense Forces are consistently reducing the Russian Federation’s capacity to continue its armed aggression,” the General Staff said in its statement, adding that further details would follow.Damage assessment still underwayThe General Staff reported that each vessel is still being inspected, with the full extent of damage not yet disclosed.According to Ukrainska Pravda, a 30N6E radar was also hit, which is part of an S-300 surface-to-air missile system.Additionally, a mobile fire team was struck on pier No. 2, alongside the tunnel portal of the Hrushova oil depot leading to the Sheskharis terminal. Infrastructure at piers No. 3, No. 6 and No. 7 was also damaged.Earlier on Wednesday, President Volodymyr Zelensky said that Ukraine struck the naval base in Novorossiysk with domestically made Palianytsia drones and Neptune missiles. Other Topics of Interest 2 Russian Prison Officers Accused of Torturing Ukrainian Detainees Prosecutor’s General Office accused the men of beating Ukrainian detainees with plastic batons and electrocuting them, in violation of humanitarian law. The naval base sits on the Black Sea, more than 300 kilometers (roughly 186 miles) from the frontline. Zelensky said the country’s defense forces had conducted what he called a “unique operation.”Emergency declared in Novorossiysk following the strikesRussian authorities declared an emergency following a large-scale Ukrainian attack that damaged infrastructure, disrupted the water supply, and sparked multiple fires.Novorossiysk Mayor Andrei Kravchenko announced the measure after authorities lifted a drone alert that had remained in effect overnight.The attack ruptured two major water pipelines, forcing authorities to suspend water supplies to the city, according to the mayor. He also reported multiple fires but did not disclose the full extent of the damage. Kyiv Post is Ukraine’s first and oldest English news organization, reporting since 1995. Its international reach – 97% of readers are outside of Ukraine – make it truly Ukraine’s global voice.
4 Russian Warships Struck in Novorossiysk
Full Article
Original Source
Read the full article at Kyivpost →KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.