Moroccan military officers tour Gaza ahead of multinational force deployment Moroccan officers have entered the Gaza Strip in order to prepare for the entry of a multinational force Around 30 Moroccan military officers entered Gaza as preparations advanced for a proposed multinational force expected to operate in the territory, according to Israeli media [Getty] Around 30 Moroccan military officers entered the Gaza Strip on Wednesday on what Israeli public broadcaster Kan reported as the Moroccan army's first field tour of the areas where its troops are expected to operate. The visit forms part of preparations for the deployment of Moroccan forces to Gaza as part of a multinational force expected to operate in the war-ravaged territory, Kan said. The multinational force was proposed under US President Donald Trump's October 2025 Gaza ceasefire plan, which has yet to be implemented amid continued Israeli military operations and Israel's refusal to withdraw from the enclave. Training for the force was originally due to take place in Jordan. However, following the US-Iran conflict and Iranian attacks on US military bases in the region, the programme was moved to Morocco, Kan reported. The broadcaster, citing unnamed Israeli officials, said Morocco had taken the mission "seriously", sending officers both to the multinational force's headquarters and to Israel. The officials reportedly described Morocco as "the most significant military" preparing to take part in the post-war mission in Gaza. Kan reported that a base for the multinational force inside Gaza has already been planned and could be built at any time, but that the Israeli government has yet to grant final approval. According to the report, Israel has delayed advancing post-war plans for Gaza until Hamas agrees to disarm. Hamas has repeatedly rejected calls to surrender its weapons while Israeli forces remain in Gaza and military operations continue. However, the group has previously indicated it would be willing to hand over governance to an administration appointed by the Board of Peace. On Tuesday, Israeli public broadcaster Channel 11 reported that the multinational force's first training exercise would be held in Morocco in the coming weeks. The report said Morocco formally joined the multinational force on 15 July but has already emerged as a country expected to play "a very important role" in future plans for Gaza. Morocco normalised relations with Israel in 2020 under the US-brokered Abraham Accords, in a deal that also saw Washington recognise Rabat's sovereignty over the disputed Western Sahara territory. According to Channel 11, Morocco will be responsible for training thousands of soldiers expected to serve in Gaza, with support from Israeli security officials. The programme will reportedly include live-fire exercises and other military training, while US troops will assist in coordinating the operation. Morocco is ultimately expected to contribute around 500 troops to the multinational force. Kosovo, Kazakhstan and Albania are also expected to deploy personnel. Indonesia, however, has yet to join the force despite previously announcing plans to send around 800 troops to Gaza. According to the report, Jakarta has not yet submitted a request to access the command centre in Kiryat Gat. The multinational force is expected to operate in areas under Israeli control, particularly around Rafah. Related Articles
30 Moroccan officers enter Gaza to prepare for force deployment
Full Article
Original Source
Read the full article at Newarab →KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.