2,400,000 more people are now under a hosepipe ban

2,400,000 more people are now under a hosepipe ban

2,400,000 more people are now under a hosepipe ban | Live News Reporter Published July 20, 2026 11:09am Updated July 20, 2026 11:09am Sussex, Surrey, Hampshire and Berkshire will be under a hosepipe ban on Saturday (Picture: PA) More than two million people will be subject to a hosepipe ban as the lingering effects of recent heat waves persist. South East Water said 2.4 million customers will be affected by temporary restrictions in Sussex, Surrey, Hampshire and Berkshire from Saturday. But the firm is asking customers to cut back water use straight away, telling them not to use hosepipes for their gardens, cars, patios, boats or swimming pools. The ban had been in place just for its customers in Kent, due to a decline in river levels, the need to protect groundwater, hot weather and a high demand for water. A high demand for water and drought-like conditions has made things difficult (Picture: Getty) Bedfordshire Berkshire Buckinghamshire Essex Hertfordshire Surrey Parts of north and west London Norfolk Suffolk Cambridgeshire Lincolnshire Northamptonshire Rutland Bedfordshire Parts of Essex Kent Hampshire Isle of Wight Cambridge Sign up for all of the latest stories Start your day informed with Metro's News Updates newsletter or get Breaking News alerts the moment it happens. Douglas Whitfield, water supply director at South East Water, said: ‘Our absolute priority has to be making sure there is always enough water for everyone’s essential daily needs: drinking, cooking and hygiene. ‘To safeguard our shared resource and help prevent any homes from facing a sudden loss of water, we sadly need to ask our communities not to use their hosepipes immediately.’ It comes as central and south-east England have seen the longest unbroken spell of no recorded rainfall this century, Met Office figures suggest. An average of zero rainfall has been measured across the organisation’s weather stations in both regions for 14 days in a row, from July 2 to July 15, according to the latest available data. This is the longest unbroken run of days with no rain for south-east England since 15 days in April 1997. For central England, it is the longest period since a 14-day run of no recorded rainfall in June 1996. Data for July 16 has yet to be published, but could show the rain-free spells in both regions extending for even longer. Reservoir storage levels in England are currently at 79%, around five percentage points below the long-term average for the time of year, the Environment Agency said as it released its weekly dry weather and drought report on Friday. Six reservoirs are classed as having ‘notably low’ levels, including Wimbleball in Somerset, Grafham in Cambridgeshire and Hanningfield in Essex, while Blagdon reservoir in Somerset is classed as being ‘exceptionally low’. It comes after there have been 28 days in 2026, consecutive and non-consecutive, when 30 °C has been exceeded somewhere in the UK: seven in May, eight in June and 13 in July. The record for the number of 30C-plus days in a calendar year is 34, which was set in 1995. Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk. For more stories like this, check our news page. Arrow MORE: Donald Trump threatens to send a bill to Canada because wildfire smoke has blown into the US Arrow MORE: ‘Summer scramble’ hits UK roads as 14,100,000 drivers head on holiday Arrow MORE: The heatwave was leaving me sexually frustrated – until I found the answer News Updates Stay on top of the headlines with daily email updates.

Original Source

Read the full article at Metro →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.