24 illegal workers arrested at Chinese data centre project in Rayong

24 illegal workers arrested at Chinese data centre project in Rayong

Many flee when officials raid complained construction site Police detain some of the undocumented foreign workers at an under-construction data cetre project in Rayong. (Photos: Rayong Provincial Employment Office) RAYONG - A raid on illegal migrant workers netted 24 Myanmar and Chinese nationals at the construction site of a Chinese-run data centre on Tuesday.The site of the raid was an over 100 rai plot in Village 6 in tambon Ban Chang of Ban Chang district, according to the Rayong Immigration Office. An initial inspection found more than 400 people reportedly working and staying at a camp setup at the under-construction data centre funded by Chinese investors. Police and officials from the Provincial Employment Office raided the site at around 10am, triggering several of the workers to flee. Some jumped into a nearby canal and were able to swim away, officials said. Authorities managed to arrest 24 men and women, consisting of 20 Myanmar nationals and four Chinese people. A check of their immigration and work documents found they did not have proper permits Legal proceedings have begun for them at Ban Chang police station and immigration police have been contacted to begin deportation procedures. Authorities also filed complaints against three unnamed contractors for hiring the foreign workers without permits. Questioned after the operation, the former owner of the site, which was previously a golf course, said he only sold the property and had no involvement in the illegal employment. The workers were under the direct supervision and management of the project, he said. No details of the project owner have yet been uncovered. According to local media, the construction had been ongoing for several months amid concerns from local residents, who asked authorities to inspect the project for impact on the community. Last week, Ban Chang district authorities inspected the site and said they found no evidence that the project had encroached on a public canal, as alleged. However, authorities said an official land survey would be conducted to verify the boundaries and establish exact findings. Data centres face tough new checks: government An under-construction building of the Chinese-owned data centre project in tambon Ban Chang of Ban Chang district in Rayong.

Original Source

Read the full article at Bangkokpost →

KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.