Odisha Police have arrested 113 people for their alleged role in violence during a protest by app-based cab and auto-rickshaw drivers and motorcycle riders in Bhubaneswar, officials said on Thursday. Another 60 people who were detained have been released on bond of good behaviour, while 354 vehicles have been seized for violating norms.Police said seven FIRs have so far been registered at Kharvel Nagar police station in connection with the violence. A police officer said, "Anyone taking law into their hands will be dealt with strictly as per law."Drivers and riders linked to various online ride-hailing platforms began a cease-work on August 17, demanding that their seven-point charter be met. Their demands include a fare hike, a reduction in application fees, social security and other benefits.On Wednesday, hundreds of auto-rickshaws and taxis took out a rally from Raj Mahal Square and parked along Mahatma Gandhi Marg, blocking the road and disrupting traffic in the Master Canteen and railway station areas in Bhubaneswar. Police said that when personnel tried to persuade the protesters to clear the road, the agitators allegedly turned violent and suddenly pelted stones at them. Protesters also allegedly vandalised three police vans and several buses during the agitation.At least 13 police personnel, including the inspector-in-charge of Capital police station, were injured in the face-off, Bhubaneswar-Cuttack Additional Commissioner of Police Narasingha Bhol said. Meanwhile, the state transport authority has started the process to suspend or cancel the permits of the auto-rickshaws used to block the main road. Bhubaneswar-1 RTO has issued show cause notices to the registered owners and permit holders concerned, asking them to provide details on who was in control of the vehicle at the time of the incident and whether it was used with the owner's permission, direction or knowledge.They have also been asked to submit written explanations with the required documents and appear at the RTO office for a personal hearing on the appointed date and time.Officials said that if no reply is received within the stipulated time, or if the person concerned remains absent, transport authorities will decide on cancellation or suspension of the permit on the basis of the available records. The transport department has clarified that this action will not affect any separate criminal or other legal proceedings linked to the incident. In sum, the protest over fare and welfare demands has led to arrests, police cases, injuries and parallel action by transport authorities.- EndsPublished By: India Today Web Desk Published On: Aug 20, 2026 13:54 IST
113 arrested, 354 vehicles seized after Bhubaneswar cab protest turns violent
Full Article
Original Source
Read the full article at Indiatoday →KhanList aggregates and links to publicly available news content. We do not host full articles from third-party sources. Always verify important information with original sources.